2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel noise....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 PM
maxwgn
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel noise....

Another post on noise - after searching, only found one post of like issue, but there were no results / details on the resolution...

I have a friend who just purchased a 2001 Ram1500 Extended cab 2WD. The prior owner had the entire front end freshly rebuilt, with receipt from the shop to prove it. The truck handles fine - the feel is great as far as that goes...

The problem seems to be in the column itself - there is a very bad scraping/grinding sound coming from the column right where the wheel and column meet. The noise is present ANYTIME the wheel is turned, regardless of speed, direction ,etc... IN addition, when the wheel is turned, it feels "notchy" for lack of a better term right now - almost like it's indexed, or ratcheting...

The Rock Solid Ram Steering fix doesn't seem to describe this issue. Also, there is mention of a TSB, but I was unable to find any TSB related to this kind of issue.

This is not his only vehicle, and definitely not a DD, but he would like this fixed ASAP as he does need to use it semi-regularly, and is afraid something is going to give or seize at a bad time, and cause an accident...

ANY help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Lobo88
Amateur

My truck actually just started doing this also last week. Ive heard of some "clock spring" as the culprit but dont quote me. i havent fixed it yet

Last edited by Lobo88; 03-26-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Cant spell
Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go to http://rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/ and order this kit. That will fix it!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ that might not do it. that bushing goes in the bottom of the column.

start by downloading the 01 service manual from the 2nd gen FAQ/DIY pages and look at how its put together.

the clock spring makes the electrical connection to the steering wheel functions. if all the electrical things are working, it might be ok.

i don't know if this applies or not, but a buddy of mine with a 1st gen had a floppy steering wheel. we removed the wheel and found a broken bearing in the top of the column. replaced it and it fixed it.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
maxwgn
Rookie

Yeah, see, there's NO play in the wheel at all, or the steering... ONLY the noise. It feels like there's a bearing that is TOO TIGHT in the column.

If that repair kit is the correct fix, that's fine - but the site's description simply doesn't match the symptoms...

As for the FSM - I just downloaded it yesterday...

Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I would be real tempted to yank the steering wheel, and go exploring into the top of the column. There ARE bearings in there..... and your description sounds a LOT like a failed bearing.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:53 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rams appear to suffer from the clunking in the lower bushing more than bearing at the top...but you never know.

Please post up what you find. And make sure you discconect battery forst snd follow FSM. You don't want an airbag in the face!

Last edited by gdstock; 03-29-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:54 AM
maxwgn
Rookie

Don't I know it... well, the truck is "on loan" to another friend for a couple of days... friends car died and is in shop... once we have truck back and can dig into the column, I'll post what we find...

Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There's nothing replaceable in the column. When you get the truck back, if you can pull and push on the wheel and it moves in and out, it is most likely the bottom bushing. The rock solid will fix it.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel noise....