2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss Power, Gas Spitting Exhaust, Black Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 03:48 AM
PatriotBlueDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss Power, Gas Spitting Exhaust, Black Smoke

Hi all,
First and foremost thank you all for doing what you do. I have been coming here for years finding all the right answers. You guys are awesome. Unfortunately, this time around i could not find an answer. So i a hoping someone here can help me that might have had a similar problem.

Let me explain as much as I can.
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Extended Cab
v8 2WD Laramie 5.2L

NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON

Symptoms
Outrageously bad mpg
Black Smoke from exhaust pipe
Gas spitting out from exhaust pipe
Loss of power
Acceleration is horrible ( Pedal to the metal and no significant speed increase)
Does not pick up over 30 unless i turn off truck at every light/stop sign and turn it back on.
Bucks while accelerating
Quickly fouls all spark plugs
Feels like it's misfiring

Things already done to it

Replaced Sensors:
1)Coolant Temperature Sensor
2)Air Charge Temperature Sensor
3)Transmission Speed Sensor
4)Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Replaced Spark Plugs and Wires
Replace Distributor and Rotor
Replaced Fuel Pressor Regulator
Replaced Air Filter
Replaced Idle Control Valve
Checked Fuel Pressure it goes up to 45 but bounces when car starts. It bounces between 45-49.
Checked voltage on Camshaft Sensor, MAP Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor
Oil Change
CataClean fuel cleaner.

Anyone have any idea what else can cause this. Ive read that the gas/air mixture is rich and unburned gas is what is coming out of my exhaust pipe.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
HUMBLY
PROUD DODGE OWNER.

Last edited by PatriotBlueDodge; 03-27-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM
coldsteel5
Rookie

Start with checking and repairing the plenum..most likely it is leaking. Did you check the sticky at the the top of forum about the plenum?
I have 2001 ram that had similar issues and knew it was the plenum after reading about it. I bought the Hughes plenum repair kit and got it installed after 3 days and a broken bolt in the head. Its not too bad of a job, all the wires make it look intimidating, just take your time and label everything. A lot of info can be found in the sticky though. I noticed a little better gas mileage and it isn't as sluggish, it also used to struggle going up hills but now its no problem.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Unplug the front O2 sensor, see if it runs any better.

Plenum is definitely something to check as well..... leads to trashed O2 sensors, clogged cats, and eventually, cracked heads..... Spitting gas indicates you are running obnoxiously rich... Can you plug a scanner in, and see what temp the PCM thinks the engine is running at?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:08 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on what Coldsteel and HeyYou stated. Also, make sure plug wires are routed per TSB. this is not the problem, but it may be adding to it. Bad O2 can make it run rich.

Also, did you reset PCM after checking the things you checked?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
PatriotBlueDodge

Originally Posted by coldsteel5
Start with checking and repairing the plenum..most likely it is leaking. Did you check the sticky at the the top of forum about the plenum?
I have 2001 ram that had similar issues and knew it was the plenum after reading about it. I bought the Hughes plenum repair kit and got it installed after 3 days and a broken bolt in the head. Its not too bad of a job, all the wires make it look intimidating, just take your time and label everything. A lot of info can be found in the sticky though. I noticed a little better gas mileage and it isn't as sluggish, it also used to struggle going up hills but now its no problem.
I was just reading about this. I'll be going in a bit to get the gasket for the Throttle Body. I'll open it up and we'll see.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
PatriotBlueDodge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unplug the front O2 sensor, see if it runs any better.

Plenum is definitely something to check as well..... leads to trashed O2 sensors, clogged cats, and eventually, cracked heads..... Spitting gas indicates you are running obnoxiously rich... Can you plug a scanner in, and see what temp the PCM thinks the engine is running at?
Unplugged the pre-cat 02 sensor and still running the same. Just louder. I don't have a Code Scanner. And Autozone, oriely's, nor advanced wants to check it without a Check Engine Light coming on. ( I don't have one)

Old 03-27-2013, 01:39 PM
PatriotBlueDodge

Originally Posted by gdstock
+1 on what Coldsteel and HeyYou stated. Also, make sure plug wires are routed per TSB. this is not the problem, but it may be adding to it. Bad O2 can make it run rich.

Also, did you reset PCM after checking the things you checked?
I did reset it. unplugged neg battery cable. turned ignition to on position for 30 seconds.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

How exactly did you test the front O2 sensor? Removing it from the exhaust is all well and good, but, did you leave it plugged in? (that would REALLY skew results....)

Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
PatriotBlueDodge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How exactly did you test the front O2 sensor? Removing it from the exhaust is all well and good, but, did you leave it plugged in? (that would REALLY skew results....)
YEs i did leave it plugged in. So what you are saying is remove and unplug it?

Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM
PatriotBlueDodge

Update
I unplugged the battery cable, removed the Throttle Body. Cleaned the TB. The Idle Control Valve was covered in black crust. So I used Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner. It runs noticeably better but still bucks a little a hesitates to speed up BUT i can go faster than 30 now. So this let's me know i am in the right direction

Should I go ahead and replace the Valve?

BY THE WAY AFTER REMOVING THE THROTTLE BODY I USED A FLASH LIGHT TO LOOK INSIDE AT THE PLENUM. IT LOOKED FINE AND CLEAN. MAYBE A LITTLE TAN THATS ALL BUT NO FOREIGN STUFF OR BURNT OIL.

Update Went ahead and changed the Idle Control Valve. It runs better but still bucks and is still rich.

Last edited by PatriotBlueDodge; 03-27-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Loss Power, Gas Spitting Exhaust, Black Smoke