2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ball joint install using high heat on knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ball joint install using high heat on knuckle

in this video the guy heats up the knuckles red hot to expand the ball joint ring. pretty clever.

do you reckon this does any harm to the knuckle, or causes any permanent expansion or distortion ?

Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe it would. It would alter the tempering on the steel, therefore make it softer and less likely to hold up.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it would temper it even more from the heat and would need to be cooled slowly over night before driving it to avoid distortion of the control arm the grease would most likely be garbage in the joint after the intense freezing and then the intense heat

its people like this that do dangerous work on there own vehicles instead of us mechanics dong it safely and properly (of course there are not as many mechanics like myself that only due honest work and don't over charge for labor)

Last edited by h3lzsn1p3r; 03-31-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM
joshmopar
Professional

Ive done a lot of king pins and balljoints and never needed to do that to get them out. Well king pins maybe but balljoints never.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by h3lzsn1p3r
it would temper it even more from the heat and would need to be cooled slowly over night before driving it to avoid distortion of the control arm the grease would most likely be garbage in the joint after the intense freezing and then the intense heat

its people like this that do dangerous work on there own vehicles instead of us mechanics dong it safely and properly (of course there are not as many mechanics like myself that only due honest work and don't over charge for labor)

Slow cooling does the opposite. it would need to be oil quenched to retain temper.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by h3lzsn1p3r
(of course there are not as many mechanics like myself that only due honest work and don't over charge for labor)
Those words usually do not go together in the same sentence in that order.

Talk about a needle in a hay stack. People like you are few and far between. Keep up the good work!!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by gdstock
Slow cooling does the opposite. it would need to be oil quenched to retain temper.
yes I forgot to mention that when I mentioned the slow cooling thx for the corection

Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain

Originally Posted by kejobe
Those words usually do not go together in the same sentence in that order.

Talk about a needle in a hay stack. People like you are few and far between. Keep up the good work!!
it is defiantly a hard thing finding honest mechanics and that is really frustrating that because of the large amounts of bad mechanics we all get a bad name

Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM
joshmopar
Professional

Ill do my own work.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Idiots like that are Darwin Award contenders. What's worse is they are able to post on the Internet.

It's like the morons on the Garage Journal internet forum who tell people it's OK to plumb compressed air lines with PVC. The Site admin said he was fielding a lot of complaints about my posts and he was getting ready to ban me, so I told him to take his forum and shove it up his **** and that he'd better hope someone doesn't get killed following the dangerous advice from the idiots his moderators are too stupid to censor. I cited every credible source that backed what I said and told him I'd never return. No great loss since 98% of the people who post on that forum have never used a screwdriver before the age of 25 and fawn all over that crap from Harbor Freight.

Quick Reply: ball joint install using high heat on knuckle