2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

jerks rapidly when driving on highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Luca _The_Kunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I replaced the output speed sensor on the trans. It seemed to fix some of the proublems. Like the trans not shiffting from over drive to get more speed and the sluggish take off. But the jerking is still there. Btw the truck is ticking but not like a lifter tick. It seems to come and go its very noticable at times and not as much other times. When im exelerating you can hear it good and its faster.
Oh yeah after i installed the speed sensor and reset the computer the light went away. So far at least lol.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Without info about truck in signature, and due to being very late for a guy my age, I won't go back to previous page to check. 4x4, 1500? Check U joints and for exhaust leak for ticking.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 AM
coldsteel5
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
Fix the Xbox first.
Better to just throw it out and get a ps3.

I agree it sounds like it is plenum and clogged cat related.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Disconnect the front O2 sensor, and take it for a drive. See if its any better.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for fixing and posting better.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Luca _The_Kunk

Originally Posted by gdstock
Without info about truck in signature, and due to being very late for a guy my age, I won't go back to previous page to check. 4x4, 1500? Check U joints and for exhaust leak for ticking.
its a 3.9L 2wd 1500 i fixed the proublem with the jerking and crap

Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 AM
Luca _The_Kunk

Originally Posted by coldsteel5
Better to just throw it out and get a ps3.

I agree it sounds like it is plenum and clogged cat related.
nah i like xbox better i can repaire them unlike ps3 they are to complicated to even get open and i fixed the problem it was a bad plug wire lol

Old 04-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Luca _The_Kunk

UPDATE: well i fixed the Jerking today after i left P.A.C.E. I was driving and it started jerking like always then threw out another check engion light. So i decided to stop by Auto zone on my way home to get it checked. I thought it would be the speed sensor again but turned out it was a missfire code on cyl #2. So when i got home i took #2`s plug out and it still looked like new. So i decided to replace the wire with a old one off my old nissan truck and the truck ran like it had a new motor! Not only did it not tick any more but when i got out on the highway it didnt jerk like it did before! But when ever i give it a good bit or gas i can hear a tick but not as bad as before. I guess the almost new looking high performance wires (so they claim) went bad. i need to replace the coil, distributer cap, button, ect. to that should fix it right up. I am still going to get my cats checked. Is it ok to run a 3.9L without the cat replaced with a straight pipe?

Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 AM
Luca _The_Kunk

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Disconnect the front O2 sensor, and take it for a drive. See if its any better.
will do thanks but i have fixed the problem for the most part read the update below

Old 04-06-2013, 05:18 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luca _The_Kunk
UPDATE: well i fixed the Jerking today after i left P.A.C.E. I was driving and it started jerking like always then threw out another check engion light. So i decided to stop by Auto zone on my way home to get it checked. I thought it would be the speed sensor again but turned out it was a missfire code on cyl #2. So when i got home i took #2`s plug out and it still looked like new. So i decided to replace the wire with a old one off my old nissan truck and the truck ran like it had a new motor! Not only did it not tick any more but when i got out on the highway it didnt jerk like it did before! But when ever i give it a good bit or gas i can hear a tick but not as bad as before. I guess the almost new looking high performance wires (so they claim) went bad. i need to replace the coil, distributer cap, button, ect. to that should fix it right up. I am still going to get my cats checked. Is it ok to run a 3.9L without the cat replaced with a straight pipe?

Why replace the coil? This is not a common failure and generally not required. the cap and rotor are normal wear and tear parts, so thy may need replacement. Get brass contacts instead of the aluminum ones.

Quick Reply: jerks rapidly when driving on highway