2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

jerks rapidly when driving on highway

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:48 PM
Luca _The_Kunk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jerks rapidly when driving on highway

I have a dodge ram that i just got from a guy in trade. Its a 2000 dodge ram 1500 swb 3.9L with an auto trans. When I got the truck it didnt seem like it had much wrong with it. The first day i got it out on the highway (im using it as my daily driver) it started to jerk rapidly and kinda hard When getting it up to about 50mph. It has a slow acceleration to. I keep it in over drive unless im hauling a load or climbing the mountain. It seems to do it most when i have OD on it still does it with OD off tho just not as bad. Every now and then it will preform like it should. (Taking off right getting up to speed without the jerking) I had a engine check light come on and it gave me a po720 code witch ment it had a screw up in the output speed sensor. I have read up on people having the same codes and none of there trucks seem to have my problems. Erlier today it was jerking bad and i couldnt get up to speed. I had the petal half way down and the rpm guage was at 1500rpms I mashed the petal to the floor and the rpms went up to 2500 and wouldnt go any higher. I held the petal to the floor for what seemed like 10 seconds then the rpms flew up to 4500. I then let off as it scared me a bit. I never had this happen with any vehicle before. The rpms then dropped back down to 1500 and jerked like before. Idk if the speed sensor would cause this. It shouldnt be a trans problem it just had a rebuilt trans put in it.
Oh yeah i parked the truck at the store for about 20 minuets. When i got back in to start it i would turn the key and get nothing. All the dash lights were comming on so i know it had power. So i tried putting it in nutral so it would roll back some. When i mashed my breaks the guages would lights up as if i was turning the headlights on. O.o Then they would go off when i let off the breaks they would go off. I let it roll back about 10ft and it started like normal. I had the same year 1500 before but it was a 4x4 318. I never had any of these problems out of it.
Help or advise would be great thanks for reading.

Last edited by Luca _The_Kunk; 04-04-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I quit reading.

Please use punctuation.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but that is terrible.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Luca _The_Kunk

sorry im using an xbox to post this and my txt pad is going bad some buttons dont work right like the V button and the period button doesnt work unless you push down really really hard

Old 04-04-2013, 01:44 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Fix the Xbox first. Then read the plenum sticky on top of forum. 3.9's have the same issue with the plenum, cat and o2's , like a v8 does.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Seriously, use another device to post here or fix whatever it is you are using to communicate with. That gave me a headache.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

On a brief perusal of the problem, I would say blown plenum, fouled plugs and O2 sensor, clogging cat.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Luca _The_Kunk

Originally Posted by HeyYou
On a brief perusal of the problem, I would say blown plenum, fouled plugs and O2 sensor, clogging cat.
if it was the plenum it would be using oil like crazy and smoke the old spark plugs looked fine no fouling i replaced them still the exhaust seems to flow fine i know how to check it i havnt got around to it yet and if the O2 sensors went bad would i get a dash light?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Luca _The_Kunk

Originally Posted by zman17
Fix the Xbox first. Then read the plenum sticky on top of forum. 3.9's have the same issue with the plenum, cat and o2's , like a v8 does.

the plenum seems fine i checked up on here before i posted i learned what causes the plenum to go bad the symptoms and even how to fix it my plenum seems fine tho it uses no oil at all i actually had to drain some cause it was overfull

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Luca _The_Kunk

Originally Posted by kejobe
I quit reading.

Please use punctuation.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but that is terrible.
There i fix it > you better read it now! lol :3

Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Luca _The_Kunk

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Seriously, use another device to post here or fix whatever it is you are using to communicate with. That gave me a headache.

I fixed it now read it

Quick Reply: jerks rapidly when driving on highway