2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric fan conversion under $100

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Timelord83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i am now kind of lost. not really sure what you are talking about. i don't understand why the jeep recall fan would not work if you had a plow.
amperage pull.. My plow plus fans plus lights and heating are to much for the stock setup either the fan dies down or the plow moves VERY VERY slow. So i went with lower amperage fans to make it all work

Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 PM
rollinlow
Professional

im running the amazon version of the proform fans and love the dual 14's with 3 amps and power invertor and have no problem at with high beams on driving lights and stereo wide open

Old 04-11-2013, 04:03 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Timelord83
amperage pull.. My plow plus fans plus lights and heating are to much for the stock setup either the fan dies down or the plow moves VERY VERY slow. So i went with lower amperage fans to make it all work
have you got a build sheet for your truck? only reason i ask is it sounds like you must have the tiny alternator instead of the large alternator that came on heavy duty dodge trucks. should not be any reason why a 136amp alternator should be able to keep up with that type of load but maybe the tiny 90amp alternator might have an issue. could also just use a lot better wire running between alternator and battery.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...d-t297761.html

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 04-11-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

it most likely is the smaller of the 2 alternators but the services records i got with the truck showed it was replaced only 2 months before I bought the truck so i figure i'll run it till the plow kills it then change it out for something Higher amperage.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 PM
guzman
Professional

Why put stress on your system, if your short on current for running all your electrical add ons just upgrade now before something happens. IMHO anyway.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

tell you the truth. i think you were to upgrade the main positive wire from the battery to the alternator and upgrade the grounds just like the article i linked to and you would not likely noticed any dimming of lights or slowing of fans or plows. the stock wiring really limits thing.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
tell you the truth. i think you were to upgrade the main positive wire from the battery to the alternator and upgrade the grounds just like the article i linked to and you would not likely noticed any dimming of lights or slowing of fans or plows. the stock wiring really limits thing.
i was considering it after having to replace the terminals on the battery due to them being the ****ty $3 ones from the parts store tab sheet. and they are really IMO to small a guage. I wonder how much of a chore it really is.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:27 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i doubt it would be too hard. i think it would more so be a bit time consuming and a bit expensive just because of how expensive the wire is. i would guess it would cost about $20-$40 for just the wire by itself with no terminals. by the time you get terminals you may be looking at $30-$60. if money was not an issue i would already have mine upgraded.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:48 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice work on the E-fan conversion Bact3r1a. I built pretty much the same thing about a year ago for my '95, and I like it a lot.

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
I never posted what I ended up doing, so here it is.

19" Jeep fan - Part Number CBG4F250
Mounted with zipties in the stock shroud.

And this wiring kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-3647/

I wish that I could separately adjust the shutoff temperature, as I don't want the truck to run over 200 degrees, but in the heat of Louisiana, with a 192 stat and my redneck shroud setup, the fan never shuts off once it turns on. I will do something different with the wiring someday, but in the meantime I have had no issues with it.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
BacT3R1a

Nice! same setup, just not on zip ties!

Change your stat to 180 like i did and get that fan controller that i have, it works better that expected and no issues. Just make sure u stick a 40A fuse in it and forget about it.
Oh and keep those terminals clean of corrosion..

Last edited by BacT3R1a; 04-13-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Electric fan conversion under $100