2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenium plate ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

This debate has been ongoing since dodge first encountered this problem.... the difference in expansion rates is measured in thousandths of an inch.... the problem is more like that the bolts were too long, or, the holes not deep enough.. to correctly torque them. Not to mention the 'not-the-best' stock gasket....

Old 05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
No the weak point is the plate. The oe plate is steel and the manifold is aluminum, so they dont react to temperature changes the same way, causing the gap between the two to change.
Originally Posted by bwdakrt
I'm sure if you have done your research on the plenum you had to have seen where the problem is NOT the gasket but is the belly pan itself.

Let me explain this to you. The intake manifold is aluminum and the stock belly pan is stamped steel. They are 2 different types of material which means they will expand and contract at different rates which causes the gasket to blow out. Replacing the steel belly pan with an aluminum one eliminates the problem. Get it?
Originally Posted by HeyYou
This debate has been ongoing since dodge first encountered this problem.... the difference in expansion rates is measured in thousandths of an inch.... the problem is more like that the bolts were too long, or, the holes not deep enough.. to correctly torque them. Not to mention the 'not-the-best' stock gasket....

Heehee.... Here we go again....... This coming from someone who used to work as an engineer in an aluminum foundry.....making automotive parts....

Aluminum plate and cast aluminum have nowhere near the same expansion/contraction rate. So that has nothing to do with it.

There ARE two likely possibilities. One is the bolt length combined with the plate thickness (or lack thereof..).

The second is the thin steel plate distorts where bolted, and bows away from intake in between bolts, relieving any clamping force between bolts. This may lead to the gasket being bowed in as shown in a number of photos. The 1/4" thick aluminum late has more clamping force between bolts.....

Old 05-12-2013, 07:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get the plate from ebay. (forum member bwdakrt)
get the intake bolts and a felpro gasket from your local parts store.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Gaius
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing an intake on these every 100k miles doesn't bother me. I just cut the **** off the bolts and use a Felpro gasket on it.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaius
Doing an intake on these every 100k miles doesn't bother me. I just cut the **** off the bolts and use a Felpro gasket on it.
This is exactly what I did, as well as a thin smear of RTV.

Quick Reply: Plenium plate ?