2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Column Shifter Ball and Joint Linkage

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Column Shifter Ball and Joint Linkage

Hey guys,

Looking for some information on the Ball and Joint linkage for the column shifter. Basicly the ball linkage can be pulled out of the joint very easy, which some times it will pop out while shifting. I'm not sure what piece I would replace, or if there is some thing I can put on it to make it a tighter fit.

In the diagram of the below thread the linkage piece I am talking about is number 20.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-removal.html

I have also attached a picture.

Not sure if I need to replace the adjustment block, or if there is some thing else that needs to be replaced.

Also is this suppose to be a ball and joint fit, or is that supposed to fit all the way through the other side and linked with a cotter pin or something.

Attached Thumbnails Column Shifter Ball and Joint Linkage-img_0923.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been so long since I have been underneath...Let me check photobucket and see if I have a photo that will freshen my memory.

Give me a few.....

I think this is it. Out of focus because I could not get my head in there to look - just stuck phone underneath and snapped. It appears to be held in place with a c clip or something. Not entirely sure, but no cotter pin and don't recall a ball and socket arrangement.

Name:  Shiftbracetonframe.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  59.7 KB

If this doesn't help, let me know and I will go out to garage and double check when I go out to replace headlight bulb on wife's car (cop had nothing better to do last night at 11:00 than hassle me about that!).

Last edited by gdstock; 06-01-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Erm, what pic?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:21 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Erm, what pic?

Can't you see that?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I can now...... Of course, the notation "Last Edited......." is a dead giveaway.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:13 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I need a better pic from the OP, but it looks like #13, (2) # 5's, #4 and a # 6 are missing.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

I'll see if I can get better pictures of all the parts.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Here are two more pictures. In one of them you can see the end looks like a ball. This fits in the flat piece where the hole is and sits in there. I can't get it to go all the way through, so i'm not sure if its suppose to or not. But it pops in there fairly easy and will stay as long as i'm not rough on the shifting.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:35 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I can now...... Of course, the notation "Last Edited......." is a dead giveaway.

Hey, I'm old and forgetful!!!! What can I say?

Originally Posted by Kaldir
Here are two more pictures. In one of them you can see the end looks like a ball. This fits in the flat piece where the hole is and sits in there. I can't get it to go all the way through, so i'm not sure if its suppose to or not. But it pops in there fairly easy and will stay as long as i'm not rough on the shifting.

Looking at mine, it could be a ball like that, but mine never came apart. There must be a piece like a washer that goes on ball stud and presses into the other part. I recommend getting another piece from a JY. Can't cost that much. Maybe PM VW and Dodge. He is parting out a truck.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The plastic feller in the flat piece is supposed to hand on to the ball. Looks like it just wore out, and it's time for a new one. Should be an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Column Shifter Ball and Joint Linkage