2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

broken bolt at intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:24 AM
6670argclh6670
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken bolt at intake manifold

well guys, im installing my Hughes Plenum Kit. im pretty handy with all things mechanical. However, as i was removing manifold the front right bolt was seized in place, bolt broke, but i can still get some vise grips on it pretty good. What do you guys suggest on how to extract this thing? ive dug all the crap that was PACKED in around the bolt have been soaking it with PB Blaster too. i havent tried the vise grips yet, just been soaking it every few hours. dont want it to break down at block if at all possible. so if any body out there has run into this and conquered it or has a brilliant idea to extract it?? thanks in advance.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be able to go for the vise grips now. Get it locked on good. You should now fairly early how it responds. It located further out on the block makes it more prone to temp shifts and also applying some heat to the block part only will help. It will grow slightly, but also pull PB fluid down inside.

Your other option is to use an extractor drilled in. Other ppl here have some good suggestions on that, but that is a last resort anyways.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 AM
mibzzer15
Professional

When I did my intake, I broke that same exact bolt. Tried the PB stuff, with vise grips and just snapped the bolt down to the block. I ended up center punching it, and drilling straight down through the middle and using an extractor. It actually worked fairly well for me. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

I have worked around engines for years. I always try to muscle everything and end up snapping bolts and studs more often than I like. Things I have done, mix 9/10ths transmission fluid with 1/10th PB Blaster or AEROKROIL. This stuff works in this quantity for froze engines as well. Just a few squirts per cylinder and let it sit over night.

Then I (don't always) can add a little heat from my torch or a map gas canister (applied to the head). After the area is glowing slightly I will squirt a few squirts of the mixture on the stud only. It smokes and stinks but, cools the stud down quickly. The cooling down causes the stud to shrink (old machine shop trick for removing those Allen head freeze plugs off of the back of the old engines).

Lock your pliers on the stud (make sure it is cooled off) and apply pressure. It should come out fairly easy. If that does not work, Sears has some club head easy outs that I have used and they work great as well. I believe you can only buy them in single sizes (in my area). Do not muscle it, it will come out. You just have to give it a little foreplay.

Good luck and take your time, it can not be rushed or it will take a lot longer. Worst case scenario, you have to drill it in the center, use and easy out and then tap it upon removal (yuck!).

Old 06-23-2013, 08:40 AM
toofart
Amateur

Another option is to thread a nut if there's exposed thread, then weld the nut on. Then use an impact but don't go ***** out on the impact.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Grab with the vice grips, hit it with some more chemicals, tap lightly on the end of the bolt while trying to turn in BOTH directions with the vice grips. It should break loose.

Keep in mind, part of the bolt pokes down into open air, and likes to crud up and corrode. That's what makes 'em fun to get out. Just work it back and forth until the threads are clear enough to back it out all the way.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 AM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke the same bolt last week. Soaked it in PB and hit it a few times with a hammer and then gently used vice grips and mine came out whole. I had been hitting the bolts with chems for 3 days so if you haven't been be extra slow. I have no experience drilling things out and worried about breaking it off worse and just walked away and got to work xleaning the IM. in the
End I was lucky enough it snapped right at the head of the bolt and I had a lot to grab onto. It was actually long enough it saved me cutting one bolt to use as a stud to align the IM for install. TAKE YOUR TIME soak and a few taps with a hammer helped me out as it has done before.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 AM
6670argclh6670

Thanks to all who replied. It came out really easy after i dug all the crap out around it, few taps with hammer and letting it soak for a day with PB on it!

Im guessing it was prolly be patient and allowing the PB to do its magic.

All in all, the Hughes Plenum repair is super easy to do. I'd like to say to those whom havent yet done it and are contemplating DIY or taking it to the shop. Do it yourself, save some money its easy and doesnt take more than about 10 hrs. cheers!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 AM
PrestonEidsmoe
Professional

Good job. Glad to hear it.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:40 AM
candymancan
Veteran

I broke one off in the front when doing my plenum.. I used a lot of PB but im impatient and waited only a few minutes.. decided to tap it with a hammer and use vice grips and wiggled it back and forth tight/loose and it eventually started to unscrew

Quick Reply: broken bolt at intake manifold