2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 NOOB!! the new truck and Outline of progression.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 AM
odzmaker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4x4 NOOB!! the new truck and Outline of progression.

HI , Obviously i'm new here.
I'll start @ the Begining ! this is my 3rd Dodge ram (First 4x4 )
I Like the 2nd Gen Trucks ( what can I say?)
I just bought a '97 1500 4x4 sport ext.cab 5.9L. Auto. a Steal @ $2500
I bought Cheap thru Private party , cause the dealers wanted over KBB $ for junk with bald tires.
I knew I was most likely going to have to rebuild the suspension no matter who I bought from , so I figure if I save $4k right off the top of the purchase price ,well I'll have all that $ ( I Know i'll need) to make Proper mechanical repairs/upgrades.

First Order of Business : Front suspension and steering !
Truck won't steer properly : If I Turn Left it wants to keep going Left, If I turn Right it wants to keep going Right. won't re center by it's self .
After reading many threads concerning steering gears, alignment , ball joints, track bars....etc.etc.

I looked under the truck and noticed pass. side concentric bolt point's to the rear axle and the drv. side points straight up . Could this be most of the problem ?? I've never dealt with any alignment issues on any vehicle , so i'm clueless as to whether the bolts need to point in same direction , or if it doesn't matter as long as the caster is proper angle .

So far I've tallied up the cost of bushings, ball joints ,tie-rods, all that stuff at around $600-800 which isn't too bad and was expected but will have to wait a couple weeks.

For Right now I just want to be able to drive it comfortably, At this moment this thing is a beast to drive and i don't even want to think of the consequences of getting on the highway. (p.s. i had to take the highway about 60 miles to get it home @ 70+ mph no real issues with "Death wobble" just really bad wandering when changing lanes.

Any insights Appreciated . Sorry if i wrote a book

Old 07-02-2013, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Welcome to DF!

Inspect EVERYTHING in the front suspension. Any worn parts need to be replaced. Follow that with a good alignment. (have them bump caster angle to around 3*, helps the steering self-center better.) Having a friend help with the inspection makes life easier.

Chances are good the steering box itself is pretty sloppy too.... you can try adjusting it, but, don't expect miracles. (DIY in FAQ section.) Replacement is your best option (if you have the cash...) Go with a Redhead, or Borgesen steering box though, don't bother with the stock replacements you get from the parts store, that won't fix the problem. Just make your wallet lighter.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on the steering box. Assuming everything else has been replaced or at least checked, the gear box is a very common issue.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM
odzmaker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually i'm assuming Nothing's been replaced or checked.
It's got 207k miles on it and all the bushings I've looked at myself are cracked and worn.
kinda surprised I don't have more vibrations and excessive play issues.
But at some point in the near future I'm going to tear into it and replace all the rubber ,ball joints, U-joints, and what ever else U can in one shot,
I really don't want to have to get under there too many times.

Quick Reply: 4x4 NOOB!! the new truck and Outline of progression.