2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance build up

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 11:02 PM
predator1082
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance build up

one of my friends has a 2000 or so dodge ram sport with a 360/auto that he wants to do some work to... im not familiar with dodges and i need yalls help...

it's currently in the tranny shop (so transmission work is no biggy)

ive told him that if it were me i would get the following:

stall converter (help dont know what stall or which one)
servos/shift kit/valvebody (help dont know what dodge uses to make it shift harder)
just improve the tranny (what do you get in a dodge tranny to make it stouter?)
add on tranny cooler
cold air induction (brand plz... i was thinking k&n fipk)
long tube headers (brand plz)
exhaust (umm i was thinking 3 inch flows dumped under the bed... sugestions welcome... and what cats should i go with if he doesnt delete them... and if he does what o2 sim should i use)
plugs (what kind?)
wires (what kind...)
new distributer cap and rotor
new coil (what kind?)
cam (what would you get for your every day driver just to wake it up a little? or is it even worth the cash?)
dyno tune (can you do this to a dodge... or do you have to chip them?)
and gears (put in locker of some sort with like 3.73's... btw what does dodge come with?)

anything ive missed tell me about and explain y you would do it... i honestly dont even know what it looks like under a ram hood so im just guessing on alot of this stuff... and plz do all you can to help me

thanks in advance

Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Tani1500
Champion
Default RE: Performance build up

ha ok, First of all, the trans. ditch the thing and get a aftermarket. I loved rams with all my heart but our trans suck. Yes they do make a shift kit. im not sure what kind, I have a stick. Tranny cooler is a deffinate. K&N FIPK is a great upgrade. no one makes long tube headers for our 4x4's yet, there coming soon. A 3in exhaust might kill to much back pressure with the system you want to run. I would also run some kind of muffler because ive heard you can burn up the valves without one. for cat. I would go with magnaflow hight flow cat. I have one and its great. Plugs, theres alot of discusson on them and with ones are the best. wire. I have MSD 8.5 super conducter wires. I think there the best. and MSD also makes a direct bolt in coil. Cam, Im looking for one too. I think Voodo cams makes one thats good for a DD and good for offroad or towing. I would get a programmer insted of a chip. Like Hypertech or superchips. and for gears. they come from the factory with 3.55's or 4.11 with the offroad package. 4.11 would be a good choose. WOW, I think thats the most ive ever typed in one reply. Oh buy the way welcome to DF! hope that helped. and might as when though on a supercharger while your at it.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:10 AM
predator1082

oh its a 2x4... do they make long tubes for that? and what size exhause would you recommend? 2.75in?

Old 09-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Tani1500
Champion

yes, I believe they make them. I think edelbrock has them. for exhaust.I would stick with the 2.5 or what you said could work.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 AM
01ramclassic
All Star

I thought the dodge offroad was 4.10? well anyways make sure and change the rear axle to posi trac along with the gear change. The k&n fipk is an exellent choice. ummmm.....get dual flowmasters instead of just one...y-pipe from cat back. They say Superchip programmers are better than hypertech because superchip offers more options. Well theres my 2 cents.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 AM
01ramclassic
All Star

btw his dodge 2wd like mine more than likely has a 3.55 rearend with limited slip.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:03 PM
predator1082

there has to be someone sho can really help me out here... am i posted in the wrong section or something... i mean surely someone has a BAD ss/t that can help me out...

Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

if its a straight up performance ,,, go with some lockers... like a detroit... lock that rear end up and itll be nasty and you wouldnt have to worry about changing out the clutchplates in the lsd with the add horsepower and kicking the tired around town... itll churp and bounch and grab around tight corners butll itll be cool!!!!! i got a 4x4 offroad and i got 4.10's and i love em' with a lsd witch is gread for me cuase of offroading and really crappy winters in western ny.. just order some edlebrock shortys for mine should be here in a few days... and i second that muffler reply.. go with y'ing out after the cat and run 2 sep muffs.. buddy of mine did it on his '01 rt with some magna flows after taking out his 1 in 2 out flow and it doubled the horsepower gain from just a cat back system that he had (felt like it anyways) for wires cap and coil... lookin for some myself... cam? couldnt tell ya... id love to mild it b/c i like the sound but im terrified to tear down the magnum that much... hope this helps!

Old 09-28-2005, 03:16 AM
purdueranger
Veteran

KRC 210X cam would be a good choice with a set of ported R/T heads. I would also go with a M1 intake with a set of LT headers. Dual 2.5" or a single 3" exhaust would work. If you want power go with a magnaflow mufflers and not flowmaster. Flows don't flow worth a crap compared to the magnas. a set of 1.6 roller rockers will help out too. for an auto, depending on the cam he can go anywhere from a 2600 up to a 3000 stall TC. for tires and wheels I would upgrade a little bit to get a wider contact patch and also stiffin up the sidewalls. I would go witha drag radial at the track or maybe a ET street if he is all out. There is an unlimited amount of ways to make the truck one sick ride but we need to know what direction he really wants to go.

Old 09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For exhaust I would use edlebrock headers into either no cat or if you want one Magnaflow high flow cat into a Flowmaster probably 10 series with dual tips heading either straight out the back or out the back but to the sides. I'd use 2.25" piping as any bigger and people have reported loosing low end power. It's up to him if he wants to run true duals or not but I personally would and would run the tips out the rear.

Quick Reply: Performance build up