2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OBDI tuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013 | 05:42 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

^Dodge did have two different interiors for one year, it's called switching over, there are very few of the older interiors, but if you have the newer interior with the new cluster in it, then you are considered 98.5 PCM.

Originally Posted by Timbo65h
What will the sticker say that I am looking for?
It will says something along the lines of the PCM was updated, or reflashed, or authorized update, also may just say software update...

Old 07-09-2013 | 06:56 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Just FYI, if you're using an SCT 9550, your truck is OBDII.

OBDII started in 96, not 97.
Your comment regarding my '96 2500 4x4 truck being OBDII is not accurate. BeginningJockey's posts help to clarify things a bit for the earlier gen2 trucks. My truck has an OBDII interface port, but the PCM is a hybrid OBDI/OBDII JTEC deal. This is why HemiFever MUST know which PCM is installed on your truck to ensure that the right tunes are loaded for your application when using the SCT 9550 - otherwise, you can end up with a bricked PCM..

Old 07-09-2013 | 07:11 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by beginningjockey
^Dodge did have two different interiors for one year, it's called switching over, there are very few of the older interiors, but if you have the newer interior with the new cluster in it, then you are considered 98.5 PCM.

It will says something along the lines of the PCM was updated, or reflashed, or authorized update, also may just say software update...
That's weird. Usually it's during the new model year they get updated. lol

Where'd you find that info anyway? lol
Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Your comment regarding my '96 2500 4x4 truck being OBDII is not accurate. BeginningJockey's posts help to clarify things a bit for the earlier gen2 trucks. My truck has an OBDII interface port, but the PCM is a hybrid OBDI/OBDII JTEC deal. This is why HemiFever MUST know which PCM is installed on your truck to ensure that the right tunes are loaded for your application when using the SCT 9550 - otherwise, you can end up with a bricked PCM..
I know that now. Makes sense. I always thought the 96 was just special due to a lack of TM.

Old 07-09-2013 | 08:22 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
And sometimes still do - but anymore it happens so infrequent - and getting a different PCM is not hard at all.

Also, another way to tell if your PCM is full OBD2, is if you have 2 upstream O2 sensors, one in each exhaust manifold.

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
That's weird. Usually it's during the new model year they get updated. lol

Where'd you find that info anyway? lol

I know that now. Makes sense. I always thought the 96 was just special due to a lack of TM.
Dodge did alot of weird stuff with model years... And where'd I learn it? I've been studying Chrysler and Ford Electronic Engine Controls systems for almost a year now, because I have been (gulp, i opened the sack) developing a new PCM for the 2nd gen Dodge gassers that is affordable and offers good performance. What started me on that journey was the lack of tune-ability of the Dodge JTEC PCMs, first off, they can be tuned to make a good increase in power, don't get me wrong, but they are not a wideband PCM with good CPU bandwidth - so they can't have extra stuff added to them. So after learning (almost) everything about tuning these Dodges, I've been studying how they work since then, and been designing my own controller - prototype soon to be unveiled. Also I've learned such stuff from various friends who work on these Dodges everyday, also when you look at buying cartridges for high-end scantools, they explain ALOT of that in detail. One of my friends has a OTC tool, worth several thousand, he lets me borrow - and it does everything a Chrysler DRB3 can and more - and he explained to me how Dodge did all the model year stuff, so for my 1996 Dodge, I can interface via the OBD2 port in the cab, using a OBD2 cable with Chrysler 2.0 software, OR, I can interface via the OBD1 datalink on the right hand firewall, using a Chrysler OBD1 cable, and a 1995 Enhanced cartridge. Funny, aint it?

Bottom line, it's alot of research, and some personal experiences of me and my friends.

As far as ordering a tuner from Hemifever, he wants the part number of the PCM so he can determine what most likely was the flash inside. Here's the catch: Why do some PCMs brick then even if you give the P/N? Common myth has it that it is just a ROM inside that is too old to take a flash anymore - and while this CAN happen, it is VERY unlikely that it would happen, unless it has been reflashed and reflashed and reflashed and so on or subjected to extremely high temperatures that can only be found on Mars - However most of the time the PCM bricks, it is for the following reason: PCM Part Numbers do not indicate the FLASH that is on the PCM, however, most of the time, they have one flash per P/N, but not ALWAYS. This is where the brick gets thrown - in the event that the PCM WAS flashed different than the usual for that P/N (BTW, Dealers will tell you it is not possible - but why does the Dodge parts catalog list different variations for one PCM P/N?, Chrysler internal documents state that fact that it CAN be done!), the tuner will flash it with the wrong flash - and since the PCM CPU can't read the ROM, it bricks... Sorta like flashing the wrong firmware on a router (if you know what I am talking about). The only difference here is, once a PCM is bricked, it usually cannot be de-bricked. This problem is most common among the 1996 vehicles, as OBD1 firmware is NOT vary standard, even across a manufacturer. It gets even trickier, when you take in mind that it's OBD1 firmware with a little OBD2 thrown in there and a new piece of hardware to run on (the CPU etc on the JTEC PCM is dfferent than the OBD1 PCM).

Hope I made someones day better here. The above info is correct to the best of my knowledge - I apologize IF I made any mistakes, however it is fairly unlikely after soo much research and learning I've done.

Old 07-09-2013 | 08:58 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Kudos to you, techjockey!

Old 07-09-2013 | 09:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Yes, BeginningJockey, you have verified what I mentioned earlier - tuning options for the Dodge JTEC based PCMs are very limited. I looked extensively for simple do-it-yourself tuning laptop based software (that are readily available for Ford or GM stuff), such as VCM Suite, but alas, no Dodge JTEC support is available to-date. Are you aware of any other readily available options? When might your options be available?

Old 07-09-2013 | 10:53 PM
Timbo65h
|
Amateur

So I know my fuel sync is off. I marked the bottom if the dist. and the top of the block when I pulled the distributor out with a scribe a very fine line but pretty deep so it is very noticeable but when I went to crank the truck it was popping through the intake so I thought I would move the distributor which in turn got me off my marks and now I cannot see my lines I scribed due to this god forsaken intake. I know I am running lean because my headers will glow if I hold it at 2000rpms. I pulled the plug on the distributor to do the voltage trick with the multimeter but found I had three wires where all of the directions on here focus on a two wire lead to the cam sensor. So I am going to fool with it tomorrow and use the wiring diagram from the manual in the faq section to identify the feed output wire and check the voltage to get me close until I have time to pull the intake back off this weekend and line my marks back up. Called the Dodge place here in town 3 times now and the technicians are too busy to come to the phone and the manager says he only has one guy who MAY know what I am talking about. From what I have read the DRB scanner should plug into my OBDI data link and adjust it from there. Tried talking to the manager and explain to him what I was trying to accomplish and he pretty much said he didn't care and if the technician who he would have call me didn't know then they couldn't help me. Incompetence seems to be running rampant these days.

Old 07-10-2013 | 12:01 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Timbo65h,

http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Cams...uel%20Sync.pdf

Set the sync to 0, unless you are running a custom cam, then contact your cam mfr. for sync setting, IF they recommend changing it.

AtomicDog, I started a thread here:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3044900

Old 07-10-2013 | 02:18 PM
Arde
All Star

Sounds like you may have put the distributor back in off a tooth.

Old 07-10-2013 | 04:58 PM
Timbo65h
|
Amateur

The distributor, oil pump drive gear looked to be in the same position going back as it was when I pulled the dist. out. When I went to fire the engine it wouldn't do anything so being as I mostly work on older stuff I thought I would turn the dist. a little bit. Nothing. So I pulled the cap and I was 180* out. So now I rewired the cap and it fires up but the fuel sync is off because I turned the distributor and I cannot see my lines to line them back up because of the intake being in the way. It runs great but the power is about the same as stock and the Dodge dealership here sux so I don't know who else can set the fuel sync on an OBDI truck.

Quick Reply: OBDI tuning