2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission issues/questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Correct.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Willster
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest Update: Yesterday, I chose to swap out my line containing the check valve/ball with one that I pulled off of another '01 Ram along with the transmission cooler (which does appear to be working better). My logic behind this is, I was able to get both OEM parts for around $11 (dirt cheap, just had to pull them myself is all), and it only took a few minutes to switch them out, so if it works, then I fixed my issue quickly and cheaply. I did notice in the process that, the check valve end of that line does appear different on the two lines; the one I installed appears clear and glossy, a plastic type look, I am guessing that is the ball; the one I pulled off of my truck did not have that, and looked mostly solid, little to no hole or opening, as if it were in fact clogged. I haven't been able to road test it yet since making the change yesterday, due mainly to lack of fuel to run it long enough to know lol. I will post a new update asap with how well this worked (or not). Also, HUGE thanks to all of you that have given me advice on where the issue might be and ways to resolve it; I have not (and will not) forget or ignore the advice, I simply wanted to *try* first to resolve it with OEM parts and leaving things as they were in terms of the check valve, etc. But, if this does not solve my problem long term, then drilling out and/or replacing the current check valve/ball system will be my next action plan. =-)

Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Willster
Rookie

Welp, back to the drawing board so to speak. Took ole blue for a good drive this afternoon and, about 30-45 minutes in, the O/D OFF light, followed shortly by TRANS TEMP light, show up again. So I have more/less ruled out the tranny cooler and the check valve via replacement of both of them and the issue still not resolved. Thinking it might be time to sell unless I can figure out the actual cause of this issue AND fix it or get it fixed for a reasonable price......

Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have you changed the sensor itself yet? (pressure sensor is also the temp sensor)

Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Willster
Rookie

No, but that was where I was leaning toward next based on some other forums and posts I have read about the same issue. What is the sensor called and where is it located? Is it in the transmission pan?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, gotta drop the pan. Sensor is the Governor Pressure Sensor. It also does the temp sensor thing.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Willster
Rookie

Snap!! I've already had the pan off twice now, wish I would have known either of the other two times, I didn't want to have to do that again. Means I'm going to have to go through the changing of the ATF again too, so here goes another 5 or 6 quarts of that. Ugh.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Willster
Rookie

I guess I could go ahead and drill the check valve ball out since I have an extra line laying around, just to be one step further in the elimination process before having to pull the transmission pan again for another part that I don't know 100% if it is the problem or will fix it. This has to top the list for the most frustrating issue I have ever gone through with a vehicle. Love those "could be any one of 1,000 things" and doing guess work and hit and miss (so far all miss) repairs to try and figure it out. Sheesh.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Install a drain plug in the pan this time.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Willster
Rookie

Yea...........I would almost sooner sell it and let it be someone else's problem than to even mess with it anymore to be honest. Decision time......................

Quick Reply: Transmission issues/questions.....