2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission issues/questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Willster
Yea...........I would almost sooner sell it and let it be someone else's problem than to even mess with it anymore to be honest. Decision time......................

Not going to sell it for much with a broken tranny.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Willster
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't suppose there's any way to test that sensor or do any diagnostic testing to try and pinpoint where my issue is if it isn't giving any fault codes?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:35 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not without a scanner. A good one. Not just one that reads codes.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Willster
Rookie

So do you guys think it would be worth my time to drill out the check valve ball, now that it has still acted up with 2 different ones hooked up to it, or should I now direct my attention to the governor/temp sensor?

Old 09-10-2013, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Drill the check ball anyway. Probably not the issues.... but, ya never know.

For my next trick...... I would consider picking up an infra-red thermometer, they can be had pretty cheap. Take the truck out, drive it till the trans temp lite comes on, pull over, (leave the engine running, in neutral..... set e-brake...) and shoot the line coming out of the front of the trans, and see what temp it really is. That should answer the question of "Is it REALLY getting hot?" or not.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:18 PM
mcnealmichael
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission issues

my tranny will not shift to 3rd gear when over drive is off (it will but have to let off the gas ) and shifts to all gears when O.D is on but shifts to O.D realy quickly from 3rd gear and wont shift back down when i want to pass or i am climbing a hill ect... any ideas on what to do

Old 09-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Willster
Rookie

Yesterday, while putting a new radiator on Ole Blue, since I already had the check valve line disconnected on the radiator end, I went ahead and unbolted it from the tranny line on the check valve/ball end, and drilled that sucker out. Then I let it run and get good and warm, checked the tranny fluid, both level and color of the ATF is great! I haven't been able to take it on a very long road trip yet, but I drove it about 20 or 30 miles after the repairs, and it is running good, no lights on and dry as a bone underneath so far. Hopefully my issue is (finally) resolved! I will post another (hopefully final) update after I am able to take it on a long enough trip to figure out for sure if it has cleared up. But feeling good about it :-)

Old 09-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Willster
Rookie

Ok, interesting follow up....Drove over 100 miles today, mostly highway, 65-70 mph, and I have good and bad news to report. Good news is, no O/D OFF or TRANS TEMP lights, and the truck was dry as a bone underneath after all that mileage, so the new radiator is good, and the transmission overheating issue seems to be resolved. BUT, I now have a P1740 trouble code and my overdrive isn't working; it shifts fine through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but won't shift out of 3rd to 4th/OD; RPM's stay wound around 2,700 or so and never shifts or kicks down. My O/D worked fine before I removed the check valve ball out of the transmission line, up to the point where the transmission was overheating anyway. So, what now? Any ideas or suggestions..........

Old 09-18-2013, 11:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check the electrical connector about halfway back on the trans, drivers side. (8 pin) Make sure it is in good condition, and plugged in nice and tight.

Also check the connectors at the PCM. Same thing there, clean and tight.

Make sure the wire for the O/D solenoid from the trans, to the PCM is good. (wiring diagrams are in the Service manual, that you can download from the Service Manual thread, in the FAQ section.)

If everything checks out, replace the O/D, and TCC solenoids. (procedure is in service manual.)

Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Willster
Rookie

Any chance the removal of the check valve ball caused the P1740 code and O/D not working issue? I just find it odd that my O/D worked fine (prior to the transmission temp rising after 30-45 minutes of constant driving) and I never got that code, before I removed the check valve, and the code just appeared after I drilled out the c/v ball.....

Quick Reply: Transmission issues/questions.....