2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

School me - V10 Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default School me - V10 Performance Parts

Ok, first off Google sucks and searching here has turned up very little. Must be my search queiry... Anyway, I mostly build Cummins for a living now and I'm used to having aftermarket parts availability that rivals a small block chevy. I loaned out our 95 shop beater to a customer who abused it with 20,000 loads on the GN (didn't downsize the loads from what he pulled with the compound turbo Cummins I built for him) and he took the bottom end out of the engine. I have yet to tear it down to inspect just how bad he hurt it, but it just didn't have enough power for my tastes. So, since I'll have it out and apart I was thinking a bump in compression, port work, throttle body, and cam work are in order. That work should be reletively straight forward for me, but I'm not a fan of the intake manifold nor that exhaust manifolds. Also, since this is a 95 I will likely need to switch to Mega Squirt or something to that effect for ease of tuning, suggestions on finding sources for any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there isn't much you can do for a V10 besides tuning. You're going to be disappointed with any mods you're going to do as you play with/build Cummins for a living. A stock rebuild with some PCM tuning would be about as much as you could do to it.

Unless you're willing to wait for one of the V10 owners to chime in..lol

Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you should friggin go for it. Everything you're commenting on....is not readily available. So custom + your skills = win.

I hope you continue to share your path here as there a few active v10 owners that may be interested. Especially in a streetable cam and intake manifold option.

Originally Posted by blackskyracing
Ok, first off Google sucks and searching here has turned up very little. Must be my search queiry... Anyway, I mostly build Cummins for a living now and I'm used to having aftermarket parts availability that rivals a small block chevy. I loaned out our 95 shop beater to a customer who abused it with 20,000 loads on the GN (didn't downsize the loads from what he pulled with the compound turbo Cummins I built for him) and he took the bottom end out of the engine. I have yet to tear it down to inspect just how bad he hurt it, but it just didn't have enough power for my tastes. So, since I'll have it out and apart I was thinking a bump in compression, port work, throttle body, and cam work are in order. That work should be reletively straight forward for me, but I'm not a fan of the intake manifold nor that exhaust manifolds. Also, since this is a 95 I will likely need to switch to Mega Squirt or something to that effect for ease of tuning, suggestions on finding sources for any of these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 07-16-2013, 10:33 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I think you should friggin go for it. Everything you're commenting on....is not readily available. So custom + your skills = win.

I hope you continue to share your path here as there a few active v10 owners that may be interested. Especially in a streetable cam and intake manifold option.
Oh I've already placed some calls tracking things down. I am fairly certain the gentlemen at Bullet Cams can get a UGL core. Sounds pretty beefy, Kirk mumbled something about 330 degrees of duration and almost .470" of lobe lift on 114 degrees of lobe seperation. So they can grind that to whatever we could possibly desire...

Old 07-16-2013, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Not a lot of aftermarket support for the V-10's, unfortunately. I think headers are available... aside from that, most of it is going to be custom. (cam, etc.) Could bump compression a bit, port/polish work, extrude hone the intake...... aside from that, tuning is going to be your best friend.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone covered it. Not much available for the Magnum V10 aside from headers and a tuner.

I did a lot of searching here when I joined looking for performance upgrades for mine. From what I could find, it looks like the intake is custom designed by Dodge for these engines. The long runners give us the low end grunt the V10 is known for. The manifolds are poorly cast though and respond well to porting and polishing to improve air flow. After that, a better throttle body and headers will really help out. There was a cam available for a while from Mopar Performance that added 30-40 HP and 50 TQ. It's rarer than hens teeth, but if you can find the specs on it, probably one of the cam companies will do a custom grind for you.

I have an SCT tuner with the 91 tune from hemifever in mine and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'll be watching this thread to see how you make out with yours. Please keep us updated.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

I wish the truck I'm working with was an OBDII so I wouldn't have to deal with setting up Mega Squirt... Pretty sure I'll need Mega Squirt II to handle the DIS ignition side of things. I'm half tempted to go a little crazy with the compression and run E85. Things drink gas as is, and E85 is a slow, cool burning fuel that lends itself to torque. I'm not gonna monkey with a custom intake, so I'll do my best to plan the rest of the parts around the manifold's powerband. I am really tempted to look into longer rods too, 3.88 stroke on a 6.123" rod is getting a little short on rod to stroke ratio for my tastes.

Talked to ROSS today about some forged pieces, they quoted me ~$1100 for a set of 10 with pretty much anything I want (flat tops, dome, valve reliefs, custom compression height [kind of a necessity with these anyway]). This build will likely move slowly and last through the winter. I am finally to the point to get a Cummins swapped in the 99 V10 truck I picked up, and this will compete with my 94 Drag truck project for funds.

Last edited by blackskyracing; 07-17-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You could try one of these before the Mega squirt.

Mopar Performance P5249548 Engine Controller 1994-1995 8.0L Rams

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966...-Body/P5249548

Old 07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Not really sure how that would react to a cam is the problem I see... There's an outfit in Michigan that custom flashes OBDI computers. But to tweak anything you have to send it back and pay again. This is why the intrepid got a carburetor, and why I'm considering mega squirt on this build.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:24 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Been thinking a little, since I'm looking at custom length rods, I may just do some math to match rod length with an off the shelf Chevy small block hypereutectic piston. Keith Black makes some really nice claimer pistons, that have coated skirts and valve reliefs already cut in them that sell for a little over $200 as a set of 8. So I might just call them and have a chat about buying 10...

Quick Reply: School me - V10 Performance Parts