2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C vacuum firewall line

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 PM
nick97ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C vacuum firewall line

Ok guys so after going over my vacuum system I think i found the problem. The vacuum line that come from the firewall was broken. so the check valve is there with a piece of hose sticking up. it's the one by the can on the passenger side right by the firewall. My problem is im not sure where the hose goes? I don't see a hole to put it in. also I'm not sure where the hose goes to in the truck.

I could not find a diagram of where the hose goes to in the truck but it's the hose in the "figure one" diagram in this link.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1996/24-01-96a.htm

It's the hose that the arrow that says "install check valve here" is pointing to.

Please help guys, this heat is killing me!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The line goes through the same hole as the A/C lines.
Mine chaffed through on the firewall... I sleeved it back together with small diameter rubber tube.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 PM
nick97ram

So it goes thru the firewall and sleeves into what? is there a metal tube or a plastic line im looking for? Do you have a picture maybe?

Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

There will be another plastic line the same color inside the little grommet that is supposed to be there that the lines pass thru.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

The "sleeve" (piece of rubber tube) was to effect a repair on the chaffed line.
For me, it was not totally through, so I could retrieve enough line from the inside to repair it on the outside, and then feed it back into the hole so the rubber it now at the firewall hole.

The line goes to the climate control.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM
nick97ram

Ok guys first off thanks for the help so far!

Now I found where the tube goes through the firewall. I went to pull it out a little thinking i could just repair it from there and it crumbled in my hand... So I need to run a new tube from inside the car to the valve. my problem is I dont know where that tube goes inside the car or how to get to it. I looked at how to take my glove box out today and I could not see how to.. it seems to be riveted in place. So is there a way to get to where that tube goes? Can someone post i diagram or some pictures and explain how to get to it?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM
nick97ram

top.. i need ac guys lol

Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Download the "close to the right year" service manual for your truck from the FAQ section here. All sorts of good info in that... (including pictures/diagrams)

I doubt you can even SEE that line from under the dash..... pulling the glove box might make it accessible, but, I wouldn't hold my breath on that either... No clue how it comes out, as I have never had to.

That line will eventually make it's way to the control head for the HVAC. It might even be the same color when it gets there...... You would have to be quite the contortionist to be able to see it from under the dash..... might be able to reach up there? (once again, don't hold your breath....)

Might have to at least partially pull the dash to fix that.... if you go that route, be VERY careful on remove/install, as the dash will shatter into a thousand pieces if you so much as LOOK at it wrong......

Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
nick97ram

Thanks, so by dash you mean the top grey piece? that thing is desecrating. I have a dash cover on it now. If thats all it is ill cut that thing out .. no one see it any way.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That would work perfectly.

Quick Reply: A/C vacuum firewall line