2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ground problems after bed re-install..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:50 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, the socket pig tails are not side oriented... i went out and swapped them, and it did the same thing. the drivers side is just not burning hot enough, and the reverse lights are still coming on.

but i did find out, and confirmed, that when the the trailer harness is unplugged and the tail lights are plugged in without the trailer harness, the lights work as they should, without the reverse lights coming on.

im at a huge loss, and dont know what to do... the trailer harness is unmolested, and is in great shape. so its not that.

edit... also, i can take either reverse light out, doesnt matter which side, and they no longer are on with the brakes. however if both reverse bulbs are in, and you take the drivers side brake/turn bulb out, the reverse lights go out as well, but only when the trailer harness is connected.

Last edited by redneck_ram; 08-15-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Your problem IS in the trailer harness. Check all wires, to see if any are shorted. (which is what it sounds like.....)

Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Your problem IS in the trailer harness. Check all wires, to see if any are shorted. (which is what it sounds like.....)
Trailer harness is fine... it was pulled off my buddys daily driver and he never had any problems... so the problem is my truck. Somewhere after the trailer harness. However... curiosity strikes again.. 3157 bulbs in the rear and 3157a in the front right?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

If it works fine without the trailer harness plugged in, and doesn't work with it...... that tells me the harness is either not correct for your truck, or, the harness has an issue.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it works fine without the trailer harness plugged in, and doesn't work with it...... that tells me the harness is either not correct for your truck, or, the harness has an issue.
trailer harness is the same from 98-04. its the exact same harness that i had before. the harness is perfectly fine. the only thing i can think of, is that maybe the relay in the harness is bad, but it was working fine when i pulled it off my buddys truck. so therefore, its not the harness, its something on my truck.

im gonna try to get to the junk yard tomorrow and get the tail light sockets, and then go from there.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:28 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

anyone else?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:40 PM
TiminSoCal
Rookie
Default $100

Short somewhere.
Electrical probs are the worst!

Last edited by TiminSoCal; 08-16-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: didnt see last page
Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

so ive come to the conclusion, my truck is cursed... i fixed all the grounds i could find dealing with the rear lighting.

however... been thinking about this. could the multifunction switch be doing it? the wipers have been acting funny lately, getting stuck halfway up the windshield and such.

so im thinking its something within that area.

also, could it be the CTM? ive had that though bouncing around too.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:19 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

wow.... i feel loved! hey you, zman, and dhvaughn have been the only real helps here.

im thinking about just throwing parts at it, and going from there. my next check/part replacement will be the nss, and to check the wiring, and go from there.

Quick Reply: ground problems after bed re-install..