2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tcc problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 10:52 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one on my truck now is a Hayden I believe. It's 3/4x10.5x12 tube style. The one I was looking at was xhp is 3/4x11x11 5/8 plate and fin style. I really like that cooler Arde but its a little out of my price range unfortunately, but that thing is a beast lol. I may just save up and get it when I can.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

So I read that a leaky front seal on the trans can cause pressure loss to the tc causing it to not lock up properly. Just do happens I've got a leak. Trucks been sitting for about 30 minutes and I can see a 1/2 dollar size spot already.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty excessive.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Wonder if I could just be losing pressure?

Old 08-30-2013, 05:14 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds weird but it's possible. Only problem is that you have to pull the entire trans. from what I understand.

That's a pain.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:06 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Yep, prolly just put a new tc in it anyway. Good excuse to the ball and chain to spend the money and I'll like the 2600 patc stall that's gonna go in it.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 AM
torinoscj429
Amateur
Default Transgo shift kit for Diesels cured my slippage, 98 gasoline

Hi all

I had the same P0740 code for Torque Converter Clutch slippage on my 98 Dodge B3500 van-motorhome with 46RE trans. The only way to really check for slippage is to have a digital tachometer. I bought a little Bluetooth adapter for the OBDII port on eBay, and used Torque Pro on my smartphone...cost was about $25 total...I highly recommend this method to read the computer while under way. You can choose many parameters. I have Intake Air Temp, Coolant Temp, Ignition Advance, Instant MPG, Average MPG, and RPM.

I grounded out the wire to energize the solenoid manually, and still saw slippage, so it wasn't the computer, it was inside the trans. The fluid didn't smell bad, so I felt good about catching this problem before the trans was toast.

I decided to shotgun the fix by replacing all the internal solenoids and the output speed sensor. I got a kit on eBay for $185 from Cascade Transmissions. Service was quick and accurate. http://www.ebay.com/itm/130600019722...84.m1439.l2649

I've always had great luck with TransGo products, and the non-lockup shifting was always a little smushy for my taste, so I called TransGo and asked what they had available. The fantastically helpful guy at TransGo said to use their SK TFOD DIESEL kit, which has provisions for gasoline engines in pickups. The kit was under $100 from Summit Racing. The first one they sent had been opened, and possibly tampered with, so I had them send another one, and they accepted the bad one back. Make sure your shift kit comes in a shrink-wrapped, sealed box. http://transgo.com/

I've done quite a few 3-speed automatics in my day, and I gotta say, this 4 speed OD shift kit was very challenging...lots of holes to drill, passages to block, and springs to select. You need to know automatic transmissions pretty well, have access to a full set of number drill bits, and a good hand file to complete this kit successfully. There are some very teeny tiny passage plugs to install...be careful and work in a clean place, cuz if you lose one part, kiss $100 goodbye. I selected several options that increased torque converter lockup pressure.

I also put a drain plug into the stock pan, in the left front corner. Be careful with drain plug kits. The cheap one I bought, HELP brand, has nylon washers that distort when you tighten the big nut inside, and a little plug with weird free-running threads and a little o-ring that will eventually crack and break. Once that happens, say bye-bye to the little plug and then to your transmission. I cured these ills by using copper washers, "The Right Stuff" sealant, and I cut real 1/8 pipe threads and used a 1/8 pipe plug that tightens properly.

Once the valve body is removed, the torque converter drains halfway down. I blew out the cooler lines with air...no blockage. It took 9-1/2 quarts of oil to refill. I think I got a good fluid change-out. It's hard to waste $7 per quart ATF+4 fluid by flushing with it.

The results are fantastic. I can now feel 4th gear engage, and I can feel the torque converter clutch engage. The engine will actually lug a little bit now on slight inclines before it kicks down into a lower gear. My Torque Pro shows an MPG improvement from 13 MPG prior, to 15 MPG now, just on a short trip. I'm hoping that indication is accurate.

I recommend this TransGo shift kit. If you've never rebuilt an automatic, then think about having a shop install the kit for you...it's not easy, but it's definitely worth doing.

Gerard

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Wow. Nice write up. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Tcc problems