2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

First post, new to me ram with timing cover leak.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Nice.

Looks like your sidewalk could use some help though.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking Ram.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Rpm90001
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with the sidewalk...I think you are looking at ne stairs...anyway..pulled it apart tonight,found the thurmostat housing is leaking, and the dye trails down the head in the spot I thought was leaking. I think this ma be the leak. I could not see it with everything was together.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That wouldn't be a big surprise. Not like they aren't known for that particular trick. Throw a new thermostat/gasket in there, and retest.

You are right, I was looking at the stairs. In the pic, they look a tad crooked.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Rpm90001
Amateur

Not to happy... Yep, water neck gasket was leaking, replaced and put everything together and still have a leak. The water neck is is dry.. So I was right the first time. Has to be the timing chain gasket. I did all the hoses, PVC, thermostat,plugs,wires,cap and rotor. They were all original. Oh we'll. time for a beer. I'll just do it again.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpm90001
Not to happy... Yep, water neck gasket was leaking, replaced and put everything together and still have a leak. The water neck is is dry.. So I was right the first time. Has to be the timing chain gasket. I did all the hoses, PVC, thermostat,plugs,wires,cap and rotor. They were all original. Oh we'll. time for a beer. I'll just do it again.
Next to the thermostat housing is the temp sensor and heater hose, could be one of them also. But, I'm sure at some point the water pump was replaced. And if it was, it is very common for the TC cover gasket to get torn if the WP was not carefully removed. You can try tightening all the bolts on WP and TC cover. Might get lucky.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Rpm90001
Amateur

Zman17

Thanks, both the temp sensor and heater hose are dry. I confirmed the cover gasket was bad. Water pump was original.

I have a few Question now that it is apart.

1) As for replacement parts, who do you all use. I need to get water pump, timing chain,gaskets, cover seal. I don't want to order them. My choices are napa, auto zone,advance auto, car quest.

2) re installing the cover do you use just use the gasket only? Or sealer and gasket. I always use the 3m black. I have always used it on subaru's. sealer or dry?

3) Cover came off the pan with no damage, Just clean and reinstall? Any sealer?

My sound like silly questions.. But this is my first dodge. Have done many sb fords and subaru's. I've learned to ask first..makes my life much easier.

Also,what's the safest way to turn the motor over to line timing marks when it's apart. I was just going to add a few large washers to the crank and use the crank bolt to turn it over. Tips on replacing he chain always welcome.

Thanks for the help.
G

Attached Thumbnails First post, new to me ram with timing cover leak.-th_c3fa234843cea834f7c4aa54e37b8417_zpsae048c36.jpg  

Last edited by Rpm90001; 08-19-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:33 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpm90001
Zman17

Thanks, both the temp sensor and heater hose are dry. I confirmed the cover gasket was bad. Water pump was original.

I have a few Question now that it is apart.

1) As for replacement parts, who do you all use. I need to get water pump, timing chain,gaskets, cover seal. I don't want to order them. My choices are napa, auto zone,advance auto, car quest.

2) re installing the cover do you use just use the gasket only? Or sealer and gasket. I always use the 3m black. I have always used it on subaru's. sealer or dry?

3) Cover came off the pan with no damage, Just clean and reinstall? Any sealer?

My sound like silly questions.. But this is my first dodge. Have done many sb fords and subaru's. I've learned to ask first..makes my life much easier.

Also,what's the safest way to turn the motor over to line timing marks when it's apart. I was just going to add a few large washers to the crank and use the crank bolt to turn it over. Tips on replacing he chain always welcome.

Thanks for the help.
G
If you're replacing the timing chain simply slide the old one off, the chain and sprockets will slide off as one piece. DO NOT turn anything once the chain is off.

Assemble the new set and slide it on, it may be a little tight but it will go on....

Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Rpm90001
Amateur

Thanks...don't know what I was thinking. It's already in position...thank you.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't like auto zone, and frequently go to Advance. The folks there know me on a first name basis.... (which isn't necessarily a good thing...... )

I got the SA Gear timing set. (double roller, .25 inch pitch) Been on the truck for a while now, no issues.

I use the RTV ultra black sealant. I just used some around the coolant ports between the block, and timing cover, and all the way around the outside of the water pump. No leaks. (at least, not from there....)

When reassembling the cover, start the pan bolts first, and leave them loose, get a couple of the lower timing cover bolts started, and then put on the pump. The problem you run in to when tightening them is, you are trying to seal in two different directions a once...... I elected to press down on the cover, and tighten the bolts.... didn't want to chance a leak at the coolant ports... (I had the pan bolts snug, but, not tight) No leaks there for me. (so, it worked....)

Have you done your plenum yet? Most of the stuff you already have off, also has to come off to do the plenum...... no better time than the present, if you haven't already.

Quick Reply: First post, new to me ram with timing cover leak.