2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM
smoky614
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck wont start

Alright, well its been awhile but my truck is wigging out once again!!! it wont start, wont even try to start. i thought it was the starter, even though there was no warning, no whining, no hesitation, no nothing! It started up in one crank this morning and i went to go get lunch and nothing. First thought it was the battery, but i got power in the windows, radio and lights(even tried jumping it just in case). So i moved to the starter, took a hammer to it, put it in neutral, rolled it and threw it in park to break it loose in case it got tied up(also tried starting it in neutral), had someone try to jump the starter(dont know how that works but he said it was a no go). Checked the relay and its clicking so id assume its fine. I can hear a click in the dash when i turn the key so once again id assume the ignition is good(dont know nothing about that, so i might be wrong) So i took the starter out and had it checked, worked like a champ. So im stumped, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how old is that battery? I would have it checked. easier to pull then the starter.
Batteries dont like extrems , hot or cold. And they dont last forever,

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Make sure cables are clean and tight, if that doesn't work have the battery load tested.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 AM
smoky614
Professional

battery is barley 3 months old, terminals are clean and theres no corrosion at all. and like i said, i even tried to jump it. got nothing, Any other ideas?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Swap the starter relay with the horn relay, or some such. See if that doesn't help.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

If not that^ then I'd assume its a problem with the ignition lock cylinder or your park/neutral safety switch being broke or out of adjustment. Checking your grounds for a clean connection won't hurt either.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:01 PM
smoky614
Professional

As it turns out my alarm system decided to wig out and it was stuck in anti-theft mode. So i disconnected the alarm and reset the system and she start like a champ!! I would have never guessed that one. Luckily i had a friend look at it and they said they had the same problem. So now all i gotta do is fix the tranny line i bent messing with the starter and itll be good as new!!!(that top starter bolt is a pain!!!lol) But thanks for yalls inputs, i appreciate the quick responses.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:02 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by smoky614
As it turns out my alarm system decided to wig out and it was stuck in anti-theft mode. So i disconnected the alarm and reset the system and she start like a champ!! I would have never guessed that one. Luckily i had a friend look at it and they said they had the same problem. So now all i gotta do is fix the tranny line i bent messing with the starter and itll be good as new!!!(that top starter bolt is a pain!!!lol) But thanks for yalls inputs, i appreciate the quick responses.

Please let us know what you did to disconnect and reset the alarm system.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 PM
smoky614
Professional

i dont know exactly know how he did it, but the jest of it was hooking the anti-theft box up to a toggle switch so now if I want the system to be armed i gotta flip the switch before I start the car. As far as resetting it, i dont know if that is the right word or not. But he just unhooked the battery and put in the toggle switch and then hooked it back up. The way he explained it was since the battery was unhooked it didnt realize the alarm has been messed with so he hooked it back up, flipped the switch off, and it started on the first crank!!!(thats how he broke it down in laymen terms for me!lol) If you want me to explain it more technically then i can try and get ahold of him tomorrow. But he did say its rather difficult if you dont know what your doing, if you unhook or mess with the wrong wires then it could lock up altogether and only a dealer or well trained mechanic could fix it.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

More info on what he did would be great, for future peeps that come upon this thread , that happen to do a search . Rare I know, but every little bit helps.

Quick Reply: truck wont start