2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1" Add-A-Leafs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 07:50 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1" Add-A-Leafs?

So I put in a $40 set of Pro-Comp #13120 AAL's around 3 months ago. They gave me about an 3/4"-1" of lift on level ground when I first installed them. They were a short-style, light duty tapered design. They since have settled and my front and rear gaps are nearly the same. When I load the truck with 6-700lbs worth I'm still nose up by around an inch.

I'm looking for specific part numbers of add-a-leafs that net, tried and true, 1" of lift after settling. There are about 20 options on Summit and the like, however the advertised lift amounts per spring are rediculously ambiguous. The same spring is usually listed as giving between 1" - 2.5" for the same specific application (including our trucks).

Let me know what you guys are running and the part number, even if they netted you more or less than 1".

Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used some coil over shocks on the rear of my 99. They helped a little at first, I think, it's been a long time and don't remember the name. Am thinking air bags for my recent purchased 01. I'm loaded all the time though. I'm sagging about 3inches in the rear. Somebody on here used some set up from Timbren.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
I used some coil over shocks on the rear of my 99. They helped a little at first, I think, it's been a long time and don't remember the name. Am thinking air bags for my recent purchased 01. I'm loaded all the time though. I'm sagging about 3inches in the rear. Somebody on here used some set up from Timbren.
Timbres are a great hassle free load management

However unless you're springs are sagging severely they will not provide any lift

Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Forgot to mention I would have went with bags as I have OBA already, however I don't want to compromise flexing capability. Same story for the bump stop extenders

Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you want lift, add leafs or air bags. i wouldn't recommend coil helpers on shocks, they don't add any serious lift or capacity.

i can't answer your question about add-a-leaf part numbers, but i've added leaves from junk yard spring packs before. the easiest way to get the right match is to buy a pair from the same vehicle and double up the longer ones. match length, width, and center hole location. don't overdo it, or the ride will get very harsh.

if you want to add load capacity without any lift - then I can't say enough good things about timbren. cost is reasonable. no lift. no negative effect on unloaded ride quality. but when you're ready to load the truck, you just load it and don't think twice.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...installed.html

Old 09-13-2013, 10:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
Forgot to mention I would have went with bags as I have OBA already, however I don't want to compromise flexing capability. Same story for the bump stop extenders
Bags won't compromise flex if there is minimal pressure in them. (as when trail riding....)

The aal's are ambiguous for a reason, they can't account for what shape the stock springs are in. Full length leaves will settle less. If you want to end up with 1", get 2", or even 3" aals. Let them settle, should be good.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:38 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a set of trailmaster R1530 long-leaf add-a-leafs on the back of my 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 and they lifted the truck 2" measured at the center of the rear fender well. For what it's worth. I haven't measured since, but it still looks raised.

Last edited by armynurse; 09-14-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I used the Skyjacker 1.5" long leafs that they combine with their 3" coils. They raised it a couple inches and when loaded heavy, sure it squatted but not nearly as bad as the stockers did.

A friend also hauled my trailer once and all he had was the yellow load level spring you attach on top of a leaf pack (sold through like cabelas or some catalogue) and his 02 did not squat at all.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Bags won't compromise flex if there is minimal pressure in them. (as when trail riding....)

The aal's are ambiguous for a reason, they can't account for what shape the stock springs are in. Full length leaves will settle less. If you want to end up with 1", get 2", or even 3" aals. Let them settle, should be good.
I'm under the impression that fully extending / compressing airbags is probably not a good idea, even with minimal pressure. I don't think my 5" lift will help things either. They just aren't made for doing that.

FYI to anyone interested in bags, autoanything has the AirLift 2000lb RideControl kit for $240 shipped with a $50 factory rebate = $190 all said and done. Awfully tempting...

Anyone else with part #'s ?

Last edited by oxymoron29; 09-14-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Would have to look and see what maximum recomended extension is, and how close your suspension will get to it. (exceed it?)

Quick Reply: 1" Add-A-Leafs?