2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Add Power to 5.2 Liter Magnum

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 04:55 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rthompson
Personally I would not stroke and force induce it, you are making the walls thin and then putting more stress on them...it's a bit risky for me.
How are you making the walls thinner when you stroke the engine? I'm not following you on this. Same thing with forced induction? I didn't know doing these things would make your cylinder walls thinner. Guess I learn something new everyday.

Me, myself, & I have always liked stroking an engine as it really helps with the amount of torque the engine can put out.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
How are you making the walls thinner when you stroke the engine? I'm not following you on this. Same thing with forced induction? I didn't know doing these things would make your cylinder walls thinner. Guess I learn something new everyday.

Me, myself, & I have always liked stroking an engine as it really helps with the amount of torque the engine can put out.
I guess he means having it bored. Strikers tend to be pretty reliable dd, if you build them right

Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 AM
rthompson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I guess he means having it bored. Strikers tend to be pretty reliable dd, if you build them right

Sorry that is what I was thinking of. I posted it at 2am lol.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Trick is to have the cylinder wall thickness checked before you even bore it. If they are thin to begin with, find another block.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry that is what I was thinking of. I posted it at 2am lol.
I knew what you were talking about was being sarcastic and fooling with ya.

Do you know what the maximum effective range of an excuse is ? I post all the time at 2AM cause I can't sleep many nights and I got to have something to do so I surf all my forums.

Got some new parts for the engine yesterday, just little stuff for dress up. I like to play dress up all the time with my Jeep. I'm coming out of the closet I guess.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:51 PM
jmbishop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I would not stroke and force induce it, you are making the walls thin and then putting more stress on them...it's a bit risky for me.......
Despite the apology let me set it straight since a stroker is something many don't understand. You get more displacement from a stroker but not because it's been bored. A stroker kit has a crank that has a larger stroke hence the name stroker. The piston then has a larger travel/stroke making it so you need shorter rods and or pistons. This gives you a bigger displacement and a higher compression ratio. The higher compression ratio is the reason you wouldn't want to go forced induction without doing something to lower the compression ratio like larger heads, shorter rods or pistons.

Last edited by jmbishop; 10-06-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmbishop
Despite the apology let me set it straight since a stroker is something many don't understand. You get more displacement from a stroker but not because it's been bored. A stroker kit has a crank that has a larger stroke hence the name stroker. The piston then has a larger travel/stroke making it so you need shorter rods and or pistons. This gives you a bigger displacement and a higher compression ratio. The higher compression ratio is the reason you wouldn't want to go forced induction without doing something to lower the compression ratio like larger heads, shorter rods or pistons.
This all very true, but most who do a stroker re use a block with many miles on it and therefore they have it bored. But it's not too uncommon to open a magnum up with intact walls

Quick Reply: Add Power to 5.2 Liter Magnum