2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Won't Shift Into Third Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 AM
MBTech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Won't Shift Into Third Gear

My 01 Ram has been suffering the trans upshifting problem that seems fairly common.

It wouldn't upshift so what I would have to do was drive it, put it in neutral, back into drive, let the trans shift through all gears without any throttle input, then proceed to accelerate.

I recently changed the Governor Pressure Switch and Solenoid, changed trans filter while I was there and topped off the trans with Mopar atf+4.

Now 1-2 shifts fine but I no longer get any shifts above that. Not even with using the method I used before replacing the solenoids. It does shift fine through all gears when cold though.

No check engine light at this time. I didn't adjust any bands or anything like that.

Any ideas? I am a Dodge noob so any help is appreciated...

Last edited by MBTech; 10-08-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 PM
MBTech

No one has even the slightest idea?

Old 10-08-2013, 11:25 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

It sound like the common problem with the seals inside the transmission. Over time and the heat from the fluid, the seals will get hard and start leaking fluid pass the seals when the fluid gets hot. I have had the transmission get up to 55 mph before it would up shift into 3rd. I believe the is a seal softner at autozone, but that just a guess. You can try that or replace the seals in the transmission.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 PM
MBTech
Unhappy

Originally Posted by master tech
It sound like the common problem with the seals inside the transmission. Over time and the heat from the fluid, the seals will get hard and start leaking fluid pass the seals when the fluid gets hot. I have had the transmission get up to 55 mph before it would up shift into 3rd. I believe the is a seal softner at autozone, but that just a guess. You can try that or replace the seals in the transmission.
Thanks for the suggestion...

What components are involved in the 2-3 upshift? Just wondering because I am thinking about dropping the pan again and adjusting both band to see if that helps but if the bands have nothing to do with the 2-3 upshift (in terms of not shifting, I understand a loose band would cause a "slipping shift" but would it/does it cause a no shift condition?) I don't want to waste my time and money for more fluid.

Also, there were a lot of shavings in the pan. I know this thing will have to be rebuilt but I just need a temporary fix to get me by until tax return comes so I can do a complete rebuild on this trans.

That being said, could debris have been moved around and is now causing this problem? Would it help at all to flush the trans and replace the filter again after the flush and possibly add some sort of additive?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Disconnect the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans. This will disable ALL automatic functions on your trans.

Take the truck for a drive, you will have to shift manually. Get the trans nice and warm, and see if you get all the gears. (you won't get overdrive though.) If it shifts when you tell it to, even once it is warmed up, then the pressure sensor/solenoid are not doing their job. Yes, I know they are 'new', but, it wouldn't be the first time someone got bad parts right out of the box.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:48 AM
MBTech

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Disconnect the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans. This will disable ALL automatic functions on your trans.

Take the truck for a drive, you will have to shift manually. Get the trans nice and warm, and see if you get all the gears. (you won't get overdrive though.) If it shifts when you tell it to, even once it is warmed up, then the pressure sensor/solenoid are not doing their job. Yes, I know they are 'new', but, it wouldn't be the first time someone got bad parts right out of the box.
I will try this, Thanks

Quick question though, will I be able to get third gear and/or fourth gear because the instrument cluster only shows 1-2-D... It doesn't have a spot to select just 3 or 4...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:56 PM
bigaaron
Professional

even simpler - check the adjustment for the TV cable - it is in the DIY section. I say this because it is more than a kickdown cable. It sets shift timing, valve body flow, etc do a search.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

The the connector unplugged, you won't get O/D, or TCC lockup. You will have 1, 2, and D. That's it. If those all work fine, then the electronics are the issue. If you still have the same problem.... it's rebuild time.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 PM
MBTech

Originally Posted by bigaaron
even simpler - check the adjustment for the TV cable - it is in the DIY section. I say this because it is more than a kickdown cable. It sets shift timing, valve body flow, etc do a search.
Will do. Thanks

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The the connector unplugged, you won't get O/D, or TCC lockup. You will have 1, 2, and D. That's it. If those all work fine, then the electronics are the issue. If you still have the same problem.... it's rebuild time.
Thank You

Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM
MBTech

Got the issue sorted out...

I took all the suggestions you guys gave me, plus more suggestions I found on google. I wrote them all down and tried to put them in an order that was easy/less time consuming to the more difficult/longer time consuming suggestions and attack the truck with all of them at the same time but, first things first, I had to start from square one to make sure I didn't over look anything...

So what would be the EASIEST and most basic to start with? Yup, trans fluid level...

So I drive the truck, get the fluid nice and hot, park the truck, set the parking brake, shift through all gears, and end up in neutral... Check the fluid level, it reads just slightly more than a hairline under the line that is supposed to be the "ok area"

I top off the trans to where the level is perfect so there is no questioning the fluid level ever again... Go for a test drive and VIOLA!!! Shifting through all gears like butter!

I let the car sit overnight, drive it when cold, still shifting through all gears good. Get it nice and hot, still shifting through all gears like a champ!!!

It's been 2 days and all is still well. I didn't realize how picky these trans were with their fluid level. I would have thought the trans would slip while shifting if the fluid was low, never thought it would just not shift at all. It's not like I had to add a ton of fluid, I was low maybe a tad more than half a quart.

Oh well, you live and learn

Last edited by MBTech; 10-12-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Won't Shift Into Third Gear