2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Dodge ram How do I replace the back glass

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:27 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 ^^^^^ this info would be very helpful on how to remove and install, adhesives to use etc.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,945 Posts

I am not sure anyone has successfully done this job...... they are 'glued' in, and tend to get broken on removal...... Wonder if a windshield knife would make getting it out any easier.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:42 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, seeing as mine is already broken, and the JY already has the part out, I think I'm mostly there already. I just need to figure out how to get mine out and then glue the new one in.

I checked the FSM, and it's about as helpful as a Haynes manual here. Allow me to paraphrase:
1. Take everything around the glass out.
2. Remove the glass. Oh, btw, it's glued.
3. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Of course, the actual Haynes manual just says "take it to a shop," so the FSM remains more instructive.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would be tempted to call around, and see how much the local shops would charge to swap them out. I haven't a clue.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Coach Roc
Default I want to replace the stationary glass of my back window.

How do I replace just the stationary part of glass in my rear sliding window. I have a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500...

Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have to pull the window to replace those I think. Best bet would be just take it to a glass shop.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two different types of adhesive used when installing windows. There is a window adhesive that comes in a tube that ive seen auto glass installers use, or there is butyl tape, its an adhesive that comes in a roll that you apply around the edge of the window or around the window channel.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:34 AM
David Pearson

As someone who works in the glass industry let me tell you doing ram back glasses suck. This is why we charge about 350 a pop gor them
However the process is simple clear away as mich old glass as possible then take a razor blade put it between the adhesive and the metal .trim the old adheisive(most of the time on rams it will be eurathane) the sides will be easy. The top and bottom however will not. Generally especially on the 01 rams and up as there is a plastic track attached to the glass. For the top and bottom i find a pancake blade saws all works wonders. You may need help for this stage as one person may have to pull on the trim while the other uses the saws all. Do that for both top and bottom. Once done back glass should be out. Trim down the rest of the eurithane adhesive one the ram leaving a thin layer. The reason is to re open the pores. If you cut to far and see metal you have cut to far and need primer i use betaprime 5500. All thats left is to put euathane on. You will need an electric caulking gun eurathane starts to dry within 6 min so you have to be quick to apply then set. Make sure to apply a tall thin bead and connect any bead seperations. Then set the window. A second pair of hands will be needed as well as suction cups and masking tape. One window is in place apply masking tape as needed to hold the window in place while the eurithane fully dries. If using the cheap autozone eurithane allow 24 hours to dry. Vehicle will have to sit. Thats it done. If in san antonio tx. And you dont feel like doing this give me us a call at 210-775-0205

Quick Reply: 1996 Dodge ram How do I replace the back glass