2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Fuel Economy Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:50 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to agree with the above on spark plugs. I had an argument with a class mate over anti-seize on spark plugs. He was adamant that it causes mis-fires. So I told him if he was that concerned to get the copper based anti-seize. All I got was a blank stare in response. As far as I'm concerned if you need a torque wrench to do some freakin' plugs you should consider a new profession

Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Two clicks of the elbow has always done it for me

Old 03-08-2016, 09:50 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
I have to agree with the above on spark plugs. I had an argument with a class mate over anti-seize on spark plugs. He was adamant that it causes mis-fires. So I told him if he was that concerned to get the copper based anti-seize. All I got was a blank stare in response. As far as I'm concerned if you need a torque wrench to do some freakin' plugs you should consider a new profession
If I remember right one of the service manuals or Haynes manuals or something actually even said use anti-seize and go until it stops then add 1/4 turn lol

Old 03-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
Really? I've known guys who got a bit too froggy with plugs and stripped the threads. Torque values exist for a reason. :shrugs:

Old 03-08-2016, 12:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Don't even have to get that froggy to have troubles with plugs. Leave 'em in too long, and they can break coming out...... That's always fun. Of course, on a vehicle that sees proper maintenance, that should never be a problem.

I have had more trouble with rusted, or cross-threaded plugs (removing them....), than I ever have with an over-torqued plug. Never used a torque wrench installing either.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You snug spark plugs. Then go just a little more. Bam you're done.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
You snug spark plugs. Then go just a little more. Bam you're done.
Depends on the plug seat, for the tapered seat, snug, and then about five minutes more turn. For the ones that have the washer, snug, then another quarter turn.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:46 PM
bargeman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't even have to get that froggy to have troubles with plugs. Leave 'em in too long, and they can break coming out...... That's always fun. Of course, on a vehicle that sees proper maintenance, that should never be a problem.

I have had more trouble with rusted, or cross-threaded plugs (removing them....), than I ever have with an over-torqued plug. Never used a torque wrench installing either.
I broke two plugs (2&4) trying to get them out. This motor only had 65,000 miles on her and the engine bay was spotless but these champions might have been the originals. So with my truck its not the miles on the plugs but the number of years. Couldnt get a socket on the no. 4 plug cuz the sleeve had some corrosion down in there. So I jerked that thing out a there. I got em out and the new set had some antisieze put on em. Man I was crapping bricks when that happened. Ive never broken off a plug before that day. And bam 2 of em. So off I go to youtube to see how to get em out! Thank you Youtube!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bargeman
I broke two plugs (2&4) trying to get them out. This motor only had 65,000 miles on her and the engine bay was spotless but these champions might have been the originals. So with my truck its not the miles on the plugs but the number of years. Couldnt get a socket on the no. 4 plug cuz the sleeve had some corrosion down in there. So I jerked that thing out a there. I got em out and the new set had some antisieze put on em. Man I was crapping bricks when that happened. Ive never broken off a plug before that day. And bam 2 of em. So off I go to youtube to see how to get em out! Thank you Youtube!
I recently had #2 cylinder plug EXPLODE going down the road. Blew the porcelain right out. Some of it stayed in the wire, the rest disintegrated. Left the threaded portion in and THANK GOD I used anti-seize when I put em in....2000 miles ago

Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Right. I've seen guys really GET INTO "snugging" a spark plug, and then the continuous heating and cooling of the head damn near welds the plug to the head, so they snap at the next service interval. The same type of guys do exercise care when installing plugs on an aluminum head and bugger up the threads.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Fuel Economy Rebuild