2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Off road Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off road Y pipe

Anyone here runnin the Jeg/Summit off road y pipe? Notice any gain in performance/mileage? I am in the process of modding my truck and i have read that the stock y pipe is very restrictive in our trucks. I already have the summit/pacesetter shorties so I think a less restrictive y pipe will really let my truck flow. I think it would work well alongside my CAI, SCT and recently installed fastman TB

I have a few questions though. The summit y pipe is designed for pacesetters quick trip long tube headers so I do not believe they will fit with my shorties. If they were able to fit, I would gut my cat because its getting pretty plugged up.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...1183/overview/

The Jeg y pipe is a little more than just a y pipe. It comes with no cat and holes pre drilled into the pipe for 02 sensors. I don't live in an area with emission tests so having no cat wouldn't affect me. I have read that guys put fake 02 sensors in to trick the truck into thinking the cat is still there but why couldn't a person just use real proper NtK sensors?

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...d=#moreDetails

The Jeg y pipe seems to be the better deal, especially if the summit y pipe isn't compatible with my headers. Anyone got some advice? Thanks

Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the jeggs pipe is a direct bolt on to replace the factory front pipes, Y, and cat. mine fit perfectly. no personal experience, but if the short headers replace the factory manifolds, and fit the factory Y pipe, then this is the perfect match for it.

lots of pics here.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-this-fit.html

Old 11-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't use a normal read o2 sensor because all the tear does is check that the cat is functioning. And sense it's not, because there is no cat there, it will throw a code

Front o2 is critical for proper a/f ratio and open/closed loop

Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i don't know why some do and some don't, but my 01 doesn't trip a cel with no cat.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The non-fouler trick for the rear O2 sensor with the missing cat., isn't the purpose of that to prevent the CEL from coming on?
Not that it matters to me, only have one sensor.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

^yes. the non-fouler acts as a spacer and in theory slightly reduces the exposure to the exhaust stream. it should only be used on the rear O2.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
the jeggs pipe is a direct bolt on to replace the factory front pipes, Y, and cat. mine fit perfectly. no personal experience, but if the short headers replace the factory manifolds, and fit the factory Y pipe, then this is the perfect match for it.

lots of pics here.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-this-fit.html
Thanks for the thread. Lots of good advice there. I think I'll go with the jegs Y pipe. Did you notice any performance/mileage gains?

Old 11-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

I have the Magnaflow off road y pipe w/ my pacesetter shorties and SCT. I noticed a little medium to upper rpm gain, little faster throttle response and hitting it hard she moved a tad faster. Overall I'd say I gained some power from it.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Did you notice any performance/mileage gains?
couldn't tell you. even my 87 year old mother drives faster than me.

Quick Reply: Off road Y pipe