2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OK to drive in 4WD when roads are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:10 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ Up here were I an in BC from Oct 1st to April 1st you must carry tire chains or a set of snowflake rated tires must be on the vehicle. The RCMP and DOT are on this big time this year, they are even questioning if a M&S tire is a valid winter tire. Fines are being handed out, ICBC is mumbling stuff about void insurance if the chains and tires are not there.

Good for you for putting the right tire on for the right season, more could learn from you.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:17 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
^^ Up here were I an in BC from Oct 1st to April 1st you must carry tire chains or a set of snowflake rated tires must be on the vehicle. The RCMP and DOT are on this big time this year, they are even questioning if a M&S tire is a valid winter tire. Fines are being handed out, ICBC is mumbling stuff about void insurance if the chains and tires are not there.

Good for you for putting the right tire on for the right season, more could learn from you.
Oh wow that's interesting it's mandatory up there but yeah I have a set of cable chains too it probably doesn't compare to what you all get but it's pretty common for us to get a couple feet in a matter of hours every now and then I learned the hard way to be prepared for winter driving I've been in multiple ice and snow related accidents that's what being 16 and thinking your invincible will get you at 21 I drive like an 80 year old man my life isn't worth the few minutes you save driving fast haha. It's nice to be the one pulling people out instead of getting pulled out of the ditch I always stop when I see someone off the road gives me an excuse to use the boat chain thing ways 100+ lbs

Last edited by jpsycoboy5; 11-30-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:37 PM
merc225hp
Champion

You are right whats a few minutes slow down and live a little longer, save some gas to boot. I no longer pull people from the ditch, I make sure they are ok, offer them a phone call or drive them to the next closest town or call the RCMP for them. Just leave the car/truck for the tow truck guys.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

I always make the folks I am pulling out hook up their end of the chain. That way, of something breaks, it's on them. I used to keep damage waivers in the truck, and make folks sign them before pulling them out.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:13 PM
The Griff
Amateur

Guess I should start getting involved.

If you going to have it in 4wd, just make sure it can spin, otherwise you'll start tearing up pinions and bearings.

That's interesting that chains are mandatory up there, I live in southern Illinois, and we get everything from 110 Degree Summer days, to 5 feet of snow and -10 below, and Illinois has decided that its in everyone's best interest to outlaw tire chains and tire studs. I own a couple sets, but only use them on my Blazer in the mud anymore.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by The Griff
Guess I should start getting involved.

That's interesting that chains are mandatory up there, I live in southern Illinois, and we get everything from 110 Degree Summer days, to 5 feet of snow and -10 below, and Illinois has decided that its in everyone's best interest to outlaw tire chains and tire studs. I own a couple sets, but only use them on my Blazer in the mud anymore.
I will admit I have no idea what southern Illinois has for terrain, if it was flat sure I get the do not use chains, studs mixed feeling on that.

Down in the mainland Vancouver,BC they might not have this law, but I do.

I am in the mountains, you get on these hwys with all seasons in the winter your in trouble (except Jigabop). We don't have ditch's, it's down the side of the mountain or into a rock cut. So best to be well equipped for the roads you travel on.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:56 PM
The Griff
Amateur

Your terrain is definitely a lot more treacherous.

We have mostly flatland, but down in the valleys and hollers around here it can sometimes get almost 20 degrees colder than it is up on the flatland, and its all up and down and left and right down there.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:39 PM
desktop
Rookie

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the great replies. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I've been busy taking care of my dad. I do have another 4WD question. The other day I noticed that when I shift and drive in 4WD there's this squeaking sound, like the sound a belt makes. When I take it out of 4WD the squeaking stops. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks again

Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Sounds like a u-joint is going south, front drive-shaft or axle joints, also check the xcase fluid level and the front diff oil level.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:45 PM
desktop
Rookie

I know that there is a leak somewhere around the tranny case and also a small leak in the rear differential cover. If it's the U-joint is that something that's expensive to fix? Could I do a job like that myself, or is it pretty involved?

Quick Reply: OK to drive in 4WD when roads are bad?