2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OK to drive in 4WD when roads are bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:26 PM
desktop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK to drive in 4WD when roads are bad?

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but I've never used 4WD in the snow before. So I wanted to ask is it all right to drive in 4WD when the roads are really bad? If so is there a limit to speed or anything I should know about? I ask because last winter I had no 4WD and the truck slipped and skidded everywhere.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Thats what 4wd is for, when the roads are bad. Speed limit should be your common sense. Just because you have 4x4 does not mean you can just drive the speed limit when conditions are bad. Learning to drive in the snow is not something that is learned in one snowy season. Drive within your and your trucks limits. Slow down, brake easy and early. Know that 4x4 will not help you steer or stop and better than 2wd.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't brake when you're turning, ever
Go slow
4x4 doesn't make you invincible
4x4 doesn't do jack for ice
Use your gears as much as possible to slow down. Stay off the brake as much as possible

Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

I used my 4x4 tonight on the way home from work during a snowstorm. I was doing roughly 40-50mph with no problems. It's makes me feel a lot safer on the roads in bad conditions, but like people have said, not invincible

Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

If the roads are snow covered, (or ice for that matter) by all means, use 4x4. If it is patchy, I generally use the 50% rule. Greater than 50% coverage, I use 4x4, less than that, I don't. If the steering gets weird, and the front end starts hopping around in corners, disengage.

Four wheel drive will help you accelerate in adverse conditions, but, it will NOT help you stop. Keep that in mind.

Your best bet is, find a parking lot that hasn't been cleared, and go play. Learn the limits of your truck in a relatively obstacle free area.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are talking about driving on bare wet roads with hidden black ice, then don't drive in 4x4 it will destroy your ring and pinion gears. I did that for a few seasons and had to install new gears.

That said, it is safer to drive in 4x4 cause if the rear end kicks out around a turn just give some gas and recover, if it happens in 2x4 especially with an open rear end(which I think is the culprit to begin with) you are going in the ditch.
Suggestion, put some weight in the back and slow down, get a limited slip rear end.

Oh, you are talking bout snow driving.

Last edited by beeker; 11-27-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:50 AM
ScurvyPete

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Your best bet is, find a parking lot that hasn't been cleared, and go play. Learn the limits of your truck in a relatively obstacle free area.
My dad did this with me when I got my permit. I've spent many hours drifting around parking lot islands

Originally Posted by beeker
Suggestion, put some weight in the back and slow down
This right here. Get you about 4 or 5 bags of sand from Lowe's/HD and leave them in the bed of your truck. Concrete blocks will work as well.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:14 PM
DerekW

Add some weight to the back of your truck sand is great like said. I keep it in a container so it stays dry then you can use it if needed or somone else needs it. If your tires can slip from conditions i run in four wheel drive just easy on my turns. Four wheel drive will help you steer just put your foot on the gas and not brakes get out in the snow and play you' ll see. Those front tires are turning under power and will try and go where pointed when your on the gas. Just don't turn hard turns it creates alot of strees on your drive train and eventually somthing will break if tires can't slip. Ive busted a few ring and pinions in my younger days.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:41 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As Heyyou suggests go to a parking lot a big one and go play around see how the truck handles in 4wd and in 2wd. All of HeyYou's post is great info very much spot on.

Me I don't use 4wd until it's needed 98% of winter I do NOT use 4wd learn to drive for the conditions you are driving in. A set of good winter tires will work better than 4wd will, and no not a all season tire.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:51 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

Originally Posted by merc225hp
As Heyyou suggests go to a parking lot a big one and go play around see how the truck handles in 4wd and in 2wd. All of HeyYou's post is great info very much spot on.

Me I don't use 4wd until it's needed 98% of winter I do NOT use 4wd learn to drive for the conditions you are driving in. A set of good winter tires will work better than 4wd will, and no not a all season tire.
Great advise right here I found a set of cheap steal rims and got some snow tires I swap them on as soon as the snow hits here in Michigan best decision I ever made and I've never looked back just don't leave them on year round you'll wear them out super fast they use a much softer rubber compound to grip better on snow and ice and pavement tears them up

Quick Reply: OK to drive in 4WD when roads are bad?