2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 PM
zach98sst
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cherrybomb vortex will out flow a glasspack. it isnt as loud as a flowmaster or a glasspack. and there isnt really any drone on the highway. i have a vortex catback with a gutted cat on my 98 ram 5.9

Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Flowmaster super 10 sounds great IMO on my truck

Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Dieselweasle
Professional

I cut my muffler off and it was awesome at first, but got old and annoying pretty damn quick, so I youtubed a lot and decided a glasspack would be what I wanted. Nice deep, low V8 rumble, gets pretty lowed when I'm on it, but somewhat tame at idle, but still a little loud at start up.

I got a Thrush Glasspack, which I believe is 24" long. I still need to get a tailpipe made, since the exhaust is under the bed, which is amplifying the sound as well.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:50 AM
ScurvyPete

Originally Posted by zach98sst
the cherrybomb vortex will out flow a glasspack. it isnt as loud as a flowmaster or a glasspack. and there isnt really any drone on the highway. i have a vortex catback with a gutted cat on my 98 ram 5.9
Do you have any data to back that up?
Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a ******** here. I'm genuinely curious.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had Glasspacks, Flowmaster 44's and magnaflow. Not one improved my hp or tq that I could tell, all just had a different sound.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:31 PM
zach98sst
Rookie

Originally Posted by ScurvyPete
Do you have any data to back that up?
Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a ******** here. I'm genuinely curious.
cherry bomb claims the vortex muffler will outflow their glasspack as well as any muffler they make. idk how to add links im still figuring this forum out, but i went on there website, clicked on the vortex muffler , then muffler flow rates. they have a chart of the cfm each muffler flows with 3" inlet.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started with an offbrand muffler which was a 1 into 2 regular steel muffler. It sounded alright, not loud but not quiet.

I put on the magnaflow high flow cat and the shorty headers and it's freakin loud now, haha. Sounds amazing. When my muffler rusts out, I'm probably going flowmaster 44 or something around that area.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM
ScurvyPete

Originally Posted by zach98sst
cherry bomb claims the vortex muffler will outflow their glasspack as well as any muffler they make. idk how to add links im still figuring this forum out, but i went on there website, clicked on the vortex muffler , then muffler flow rates. they have a chart of the cfm each muffler flows with 3" inlet.
I've seen the claims made by Cherry Bomb, but I tend to take manufacturer advertising with a grain or two of salt. I was hoping you could point me in the direction of 3rd party data, as I've been looking for some.

As far as adding links, cut/copy the link, and when in the advanced post editor, click the little symbol that looks like the earth with two links of chain at the bottom of it. It'll be right above the text box, pretty close to dead center.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

A while back, some magazine or other did a test on a wide variety of mufflers. From stock, to straight pipe, and pretty much everything in between. They didn't touch any of the rest of the exhaust. What they found was, the difference in output numbers varied by 2 horsepower. That's right. 2.

Choose a muffler that gives you the sound you want. None of them are going to give you any power at all.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Dieselweasle
Professional

I was right, brought my truck into my local muffler shop and had them add a tail pipe after the glasspack and boy is it a lot quieter. Still a nice rumble at idle, but a lot quieter, especially at start up.

Quick Reply: What muffler?