2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need advise on door hinge pins and steering shaft

Old 12-22-2013, 04:49 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise on door hinge pins and steering shaft

So I finally am getting down to the little stuff on my truck before i can call it finished and I have been trying to search down a clunk (ish) sound and everything on my front end is new from bearings to tie rods and ends and control arms and track bar its all brand new shocks and springs so i grabbed the steering shaft and it has a ton of play in it when you wiggle it up under the brake booster is there a fix that does not require a entire new steering shaft ( i am assuming that's where my sound is coming from) and i also need to replace the driver side door hinge pins i found a few kits my question is how do you remove the old pins with out pulling the door i can attach the door to a strap and hold it up with a forklift to support it but do you cut the pins or grid the heads off?any advise would be great thanks in advance

Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Grind the heads or cut the pins in half. As far as the steering shaft clunk goes, you need one of these. http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Old 12-22-2013, 08:23 PM
CoryVolkenant
Rookie

Originally Posted by zman17
Grind the heads or cut the pins in half. As far as the steering shaft clunk goes, you need one of these. http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/
how long did the steering fix take to install?

Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

There is a thread about another members experiences around here somewhere on the Rock Solid Ram Steering fix.

Should be able to drive the pins out. Might be a clip on the bottom holding them in. I think the kits are for individual hinges though.... 13 bucks a whack at Advance....

Old 12-22-2013, 10:15 PM
AnthonyMo
Amateur

There is a thread in the DIY section about the door hinge repair
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ow-w-pics.html

Old 12-23-2013, 08:48 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the hinge pins myself without any help. The door isn't very heavy. Just put the window down and use the window frame to hold the door when you remove or reinstall.

As far as the steering shaft, as stated, the rock solid bushing fixes it. It's not that bad to do, just kind of a PITA due to the angle and location if you don't pull the column.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

If you pull the column, make sure it remains locked, as the clock spring in there won't like being turned to far...... It will break.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the hinge pin kit from LMC truck and had a body shop install. I wasn't very happy with the results and the remaining hinge parts looked beat to hell after getting the old pins out and new ones in...just not alot of room in there to work. I then went with complete hinges from LMC installed myself. Much better. i used a 5 gallon bucket on top of a wooden crate to support door.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advise on door hinge pins and steering shaft