2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I tow this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 03:27 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I agree, people often try and tow much more than they and/or their trucks can handle.

At least they're looking out for safety on the road.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
^ I agree, people often try and tow much more than they and/or their trucks can handle.

At least they're looking out for safety on the road.
yeah, but, they will do that regardless of laws.

Now, having some variety of training required, and a test, to get a 'trailering endorsement' on your license really doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

I haul a trailer once in a while, but, I am always very meticulous about the vehicle I am driving being able to handle what I am towing. That's why I borrowed a truck for the trip down to Shirley to pick up a tractor, and haul it back. (about 500 miles, round trip) Mine just wouldn't make it.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:56 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We can tell when a person from BC comes to camp, they can have a huge dually 38'+ long toyhauler and they can back into a camp site no problem. Then we get the ones that have no training at all and it has to be a pull through site, they can't back up to save their life.

ICBC's guild for RV endorsment for DL http://www.icbc.com/about-ICBC/fact-...creational.pdf and http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ailer-full.pdf

BC does have some strict vehicle laws and I like 99% of them, helps keep the unsafe crap off the roads. Our alcohol limit is .05

I won't go over 5000 lb towed behind my truck, anything heavier than that I want a dually.

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-28-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
We can tell when a person from BC comes to camp, they can have a huge dually 38'+ long toyhauler and they can back into a camp site no problem. Then we get the ones that have no training at all and it has to be a pull through site, they can't back up to save their life.

ICBC's guild for RV endorsment for DL http://www.icbc.com/about-ICBC/fact-...creational.pdf and http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ailer-full.pdf

BC does have some strict vehicle laws and I like 99% of them, helps keep the unsafe crap off the roads. Our alcohol limit is .05

I won't go over 5000 lb towed behind my truck, anything heavier than that I want a dually.
Do you have yearly inspections?

Our aclohol limit is .08 but I think it should be practically zero tolerance

Our maybe it should be like over in some of europe. You get caught drunk driving and you get your license taken. Forever.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand some of the Canadian towing laws because they are trying to keep unsafe loads off the road unless 100% certified to tow it but I think the 4500kg total truck and trailer limit is a little extreme.

I can rent a small car hauler from u-haul. The owner called me yeaterday and told me at the scales the pickup weighs 4356lbs and the car hauler weighs about 1200lbs according to their website. So a total weight of around 5500lbs. Is using my truck realistic for the 7 hour haul back home? I've asked all my buddies with new or newer trucks an they don't want to do it.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:42 PM
stewie01
Legend

5,556lbs.

If all together you're in a safe weight limit your truck should be able to pull it.

Stay out of overdrive, give extra time to stop and don't get in a hurry.

Question, just how small is the small car hauler? Is the pickup and those tires gonna fit on it right?

Old 12-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

5,556lbs.

If all together you're in a safe weight limit your truck should be able to pull it.

Stay out of overdrive, give extra time to stop and don't get in a hurry.

Question, just how small is the small car hauler? Is the pickup and those tires gonna fit on it right?
It will fit without the tires. I'de put the tires in the box and I've got small tires on 8 bolt rims.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:52 PM
stewie01
Legend

Sounds like a plan!

Gonna be all road legal?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Sounds like a plan!

Gonna be all road legal?
I think so. I've talked to the MTO and I can get a one time permit sort of thing with something that not too heavy. One thing I do have to do is fix my trailer plug in first. My lights haven't worked since I bought the truck but I haven't used my truck to tow anything. I'm assuming its the plugin itself.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:36 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

I feel chunky suddenly... full tank of fuel without me sitting in it... 6150lbs...