2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I tow this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I tow this?

I have to drive 7 hours away to pick up a vehicle. The truck weighs 4500-4700lbs and will be loaded onto a dolly and then towed home. "Should" I use my truck to do this? Having a hard time finding someone with a bigger truck. I'm within my tow capacity it's just a pretty far drive.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on how well maintained you keep your truck. What kinda shape is it in?

No overdrive at all if you do

Old 12-23-2013, 09:44 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You be fine.

Just keep out of overdrive as Ham Bone said.

Give extra distance to stop when needed and don't get in any hurry.

As usual with any long trip check and top off all fluids as needed, keep a bottle of two of anything if it leaks, oil, etc.....

Old 12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Depends on how well maintained you keep your truck. What kinda shape is it in?

No overdrive at all if you do
Mechanically she's in pretty good shape.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Using a dolley, or trailer?

Either way, you should be ok. As stated, (twice..) don't use Overdrive. Be safe, keep in mind you are trying to stop twice your usual weight..... If you can get a car hauler, with surge brakes, go that route. (U-Haul rents them pretty cheap, 25 bucks a day or so.)

Old 12-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Using a dolley, or trailer?

Either way, you should be ok. As stated, (twice..) don't use Overdrive. Be safe, keep in mind you are trying to stop twice your usual weight..... If you can get a car hauler, with surge brakes, go that route. (U-Haul rents them pretty cheap, 25 bucks a day or so.)
We are renting a dolley. Don't think the local U-Haul has a car hauler but I will check.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, try and get the trailer.... if you have to use the dolly, put the front wheels on it, disconnect the rear driveshaft, and tie it up out of the way. (and make SURE it will stay where you put it.) That will keep it from leaking out the end of the trans, (or, t-case, as the case may be) and you won't be spinning all those parts.

If its 4x4, you could conceivably just put the t-case in neutral, if its 2wd, you MUST remove the rear shaft, or, you won't have a trans left by the time you get home.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, try and get the trailer.... if you have to use the dolly, put the front wheels on it, disconnect the rear driveshaft, and tie it up out of the way. (and make SURE it will stay where you put it.) That will keep it from leaking out the end of the trans, (or, t-case, as the case may be) and you won't be spinning all those parts.

If its 4x4, you could conceivably just put the t-case in neutral, if its 2wd, you MUST remove the rear shaft, or, you won't have a trans left by the time you get home.
I've used a dolley in the past and typically we just take off the driveshaft. You make a good point though I've never thought of fluid leaking by the t case. Thanks for the tip

Old 12-24-2013, 12:28 PM
rdculus
Veteran

When flat towing you can let the vehicle being towed run in neutral, that will allow the transmission to circulate fluid through the cooler to prevent overheating as heyyou advised.
It's not ideal for regular towing of course, but if you don't feel comfortable connecting disconnecting the driveshaft it's an option.
My guess is idling for 7 hrs wouldnt burn more than 20-30 dollars in fuel.
Is the other truck in running condition? Maybe take a friend and have them drive the other truck back if possible?
Good luck and merry christmas

Old 12-24-2013, 12:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by rdculus
When flat towing you can let the vehicle being towed run in neutral, that will allow the transmission to circulate fluid through the cooler to prevent overheating as heyyou advised.
It's not ideal for regular towing of course, but if you don't feel comfortable connecting disconnecting the driveshaft it's an option.
My guess is idling for 7 hrs wouldnt burn more than 20-30 dollars in fuel.
Is the other truck in running condition? Maybe take a friend and have them drive the other truck back if possible?
Good luck and merry christmas
That's just the trouble though, when flat towed in neutral, the trans pump is NOT running, and you will smoke the trans in relatively short order.