2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Throttle and tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle and tranny problem

Merry Xmas to y'all!!

For awhile now I've had this problem, didn't think too much of it but now I think it may relate to some other problems I've had...

Sometimes, when city driving with barely any pressure on the gas pedal, I can feel the engine rev erratically. It almost feels like a vacuum leak, and the tranny follows that motion (meaning no slippage). If I step on it a little harder, it seems the pedal is hard, but will eventually get back to normal. Like it was slightly binding and getting free, and when it gets ''free'' the erratic revving goes away. This stuff started about the same time I lost OD a few months back. Lubed the linkage at the TB and the cable, still the same.

This all started happening after I cut out my cat after it got plugged, put a Y and never put the o2 sensor back. Next day, no OD, pedal ''sticking'', and erratic revving.

I changed tranny oil and filter, pressure and od solenoid, adjusted the bands, deleted check valve, nothing changed.

I get a code for trans temp, but it's been there ever since I bought the truck in 1994, and one for the o2. That's it.

Sometimes, out of the blue, I get OD, but for a short while and it goes away. The rest of the shifts are clean and crisp, including TC lock up, only when warm it shifts at a higher speed than it used to. Not by much, but enough to notice.

Now I'm thinking....could the TPS be responsible for all of this??? To me it kinda makes sense, but hey....I'm not sure at all loll. I hate to just throw parts at it, and I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out, but this one stomps me.

What do you guys think?? This is my 94 360 Btw

Old 12-26-2013, 12:52 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to install the 02 no if buts or ands, it needs it for proper fuel trim. It's running in open loop or is it closed loop (I get those mixed up all the time). As the tps is a cheap part yep thats what I would change out, in the newer year trucks it plays a role for what you are describing.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

Closed loop the PCM pays attention to the O2. That's where your best fuel economy comes from.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:25 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx Merc and heyyou!

So, it does make sense.....cool. Other thing, I don't have access to a mig at the moment....if I was to just drill a hole in my Y adapter and thread it, would that be enough thread to hold the o2 or do I really need to weld a nut on there? the adapter is 3/16 thick, wait for it...stainless. Or should I just put one of those whatchamacallit modules to fool the pcm into thinking it's there??

Old 12-26-2013, 03:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

have any kind of welder? You can pick up O2 bungs at the parts store pretty cheap. They are steel, which is much easier to weld. Just threading it into the pipe probably won't hold.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:00 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxPower1971
Thanx Merc and heyyou!

So, it does make sense.....cool. Other thing, I don't have access to a mig at the moment....if I was to just drill a hole in my Y adapter and thread it, would that be enough thread to hold the o2 or do I really need to weld a nut on there? the adapter is 3/16 thick, wait for it...stainless. Or should I just put one of those whatchamacallit modules to fool the pcm into thinking it's there??
My op is no to a sim for the 02 ecpecially for that one. It will just blow it out of the pipe it needs a bung welded in or do I what I did in a pinch and thats use an AEM no-weld 02 sensor mount, not as cheap as a bung but it worked great for two years and I still have it on the shelf just in case.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/no-wel...-2-5-inch-1174

Quick Reply: Throttle and tranny problem