2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:39 PM
troy.sloan33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!!!!

Hello. I am new to this site but need help. I got a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd with the 5.2 318. Never had any problems other than a radiator, wheel bearing and alternator a few months ago. Last night I drove home which is 60 miles and the whole way I had to keep my foot on the gas when I stopped. It wouldn't idle, like the idle control valve had went bad. About halfway home the Generator light came on. After a few miles though it went back out. Then it would do that again every few miles while my headlights and dashlights flickered. My alternator gauge showed it between 14 and 15 the whole ride home. I got up this morning, the battery dragged but finally started. I two footed it all the way to town and took the alternator off at Advance auto and had it tested. It showed to be good. I put it back on. Then my temperature gauge started to climb to about 230 when I first fired it up. SO I went from one headache to three. Could it be my voltage regulator? Or could it be the PCM? Any help is appreciated. I am gonna be a daddy any day now, I don't want my son riding home in anything but my Dodge, Trigger. Thanks

Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF. How's the belt? Got a pulley starting to seize?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Voltage regulator is integrated into the PCM. They dont go generally go bad.

Hows your battery? Did you get it tested? I had a similar issue when my battery was going out.

I think you have a ground issue. Start checking wires.

Any antifreeze leaks?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:58 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^have to agree sounds like a battery.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
troy.sloan33

I changed the battery with a new one. I even went outside yesterday to see what it would do and when I opened the door I had a strong dome light and buzzer. SO I turned the key and all I got was clicks from the battery and the dome light never flickered or anything. Then smoke came from inside my dash. I know what that is, probably the wire going down from the ignition switch to the solenoid. I have heard from four different people about the ground issue. Where exactly am I supposed to check?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Ignition switch only controls the starter relay in the PDC. But, sounds like you definitely have a short on that wire.... The wire you are looking for coming out of the ignition switch is Dark Blue, with a yellow trace. Pull the covers off the steering column, and start there. Follow the wire wherever it goes.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 PM
troy.sloan33

Thanks. Will definately fix that ignition wire tomorrow? To Jkeaton, all my pulleys are fine and the belt is new. I have had quite a few people tell me that its my grounds but I dont know where to even start for that. Just the one for the battery? My girlfriend has a 1988 Ford Bronco 2 and I had to run a peice of cable from the frame the motor and it stopped being stupid. Does the dodge have one to? All I know is I drove it to the store with no problems at all. Next day I can't get it to idle, then the generator light comes on. Alternator tests good so I put it back on and now my temperature gauge reads 230 instead if 195. I'm lost. I think either my truck or I am stuck in stupid. lol

Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Couple grounds right up front by the power steering pump. One more off the back of each head. I think the fat cable from the battery goes somewhere on the engine as well, but, for the life of me, can't recall where at the moment.

Best bet would be to check ALL of them, take off each end, make sure things are clean, and it makes good connection, and put 'em back together. See if it helps.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:50 AM
troy.sloan33

Just went and took a quick peek since it's raining and about 30 degrees here in sc. I have 3 wires coming off the negative terminal on the battery. The fattest one wasn't even attached to the terminal. Could that have been my whole problem?
i havent had a chance to hook it back up and I still got to fix that ignition wire
i fried the other day. Would be nice if that was my whole problem, that that wire had somehow worked itself loose and I didn't notice when I had the alternator checked at Advance I disconnected the hot post and not the negative. I only noticed today because all of you have told me it could be a ground problem. So thanks guys, don't know if this is the problem or not but your ideas guided me to find the ground problem atleast.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the main ground cable isn't hooked up, yeah, that could be a real problem.