2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission problems! please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM
jacobst83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems! please help

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 2wd with the 5.2. The truck works fine in reverse. if i put it in drive it wont move. put it in second and wont move. put it in first and its perfect then shift through the gears manually and its perfect shifts to over drive and drives great. when i come to a stop again i have to put it back in first and go through the gears manually again. only when i stop though. i already replaced the filter and govoner press solenoid and transducer. No check engine light on either. please any i deas would be great

Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 AM
torinoscj429
Amateur

The 4 speed auto uses the old 3 speed Torqueflite as its base. In Drive, the FWD clutch engages, and the mechanical one-way clutch at the back of the trans holds the low gear drum. If the mechanical clutch doesn't work, the thing just spins freely. If you pull the lever to #2, same thing. If you pull the lever to #1, the rear band engages hydraulically and holds the low gear drum, and away you go.

My old-time education from the 80's says you have a bad mechanical one-way clutch, which is an unusual failure....those things are usually very reliable.

Was there any metal in the pan when you changed the filter?

Gerard

Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 PM
Cinnatrix3

hey how do you post your own thread ive been having problems with my transmission for a month now and would like an answer on what to do next. at a loss on what to do

Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Cinnatrix3

thank you

Old 04-05-2017, 05:43 PM
terryp84
Default 46RE control issues

Hello All,
This probably should have been a new thread but evidently I do not have privileges to start one so maybe someone here can help me out please. I put a 46Re transmission in a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee where there used to be a 44RE. To be more specific I started with a 46RE from a 2000 2wd Ram Van and swapped the tail shaft from my 4WD 44RE with the 2wd 46RE so I have the original OD and Tail shaft along with my original transfer case. I had to swap neutral switches just so the connector matched up without splicing. I kept the Jeep torque converter but I had to swap starters as they were on the opposite side which required a DS exhaust manifold change in order to get the exhaust pipe hooked up. Everything works great except after driving about 5 miles my OD goes into disabled mode. I am guessing that the temperature goes out of range to cause this. My first question is does anyone have a pin out for the solenoid plug for both the 1996 Jeep GC and the 2000 Dodge RAM I would like to verify that the temperature FB comes back on the same pin as well as the TC lockup sol. I have not yet established if the tranny is actually hot or just a FB issue. My plan is to measure the temperature of my cooler lines to get an idea of how hot the oil is after running several miles. If the oil is getting too hot is it possible that If the torque converter is not locking up the oil will get hot? If the oil isn't really too hot does anyone know what the voltage to temperature scaling should be? i/e 100 degrees = X volts and 32 degrees = Y volts any comments or especially plug pinouts and scaling factors will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Pinouts are likely the same, I know they are on the Rams from 96 to 02. I suspect the problem you are running into is the typical sensor mismatch. In 2000, things changed, and the return values from temp/pressure sensor are different. What you need to do is pull the governor pressure sensor, and solenoid from the original trans, along with the retaining clip, and install them in the new trans. Should solve your issue. (or, you can pick up new ones, but, you still need the older style retainer.)

The following users liked this post:
Carsonova17 (02-25-2023)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:13 AM
terryp84
Default 46re cxontrol issues

Hey You, Thank You. I was afraid of that was hoping to not drop the oil pan again but that's not too big of a deal. I made a mistake on my first post stating that it was a 2000 ram van it was really a 1999 Ram van. Do you happen to know what the differences in signal are between the the two different years transducers?

Thank You Again
Terry

Old 04-07-2017, 07:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Not specifically. I don't know that the information is actually published anywhere. It's just a problem we have seen before.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:54 AM
terryp84

Thanks again HeyYou. I am going to borrow a friends scanner this weekend and check the transmission temperature after sitting all night it should read ambient temperature that should should verify things for me. I have poked in on this forum a few times in the last year and just joined this week but I can tell this is a good place Thank you for the help you provide.

Terry

Quick Reply: transmission problems! please help