2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Surging, backfiring, undriveable

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 AM
jmendezy5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are possibly having the same problem. I changed spark plugs, coils, oxygen sensor and it's plugs....and nothing. I posted a comment regarding the problems my truck was giving me and this guy helped me out. He asked me to smell the oil dipstick, if it smells like coolant then theres something wrong with the motor. 3 weeks before this started, i drained everything out of the radiator and filled it out with coolant. Days later while i was parked with truck on, it started heating up. Just to make it, i filled it up with alot water.ok well overall this gentleman told me to take it to a shop and ask for a compression test to be done. It might be a head gasket. If i walk around my truxk i can smell coolant which is weird but now it makes sense

Old 01-25-2014, 07:38 AM
94Snake
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you suspect a head gasket, you can also pump air into each cylinder (and with the radiator cap off) if you see air bubbles coming out of the radiator then you've got a blown head gasket. I never experienced a high rate of coolant loss, the oil stays clean, and the temperature never goes beyond 200.

My fix so far is the crank sensor, it's been driving right ever since I swapped that one component.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 PM
94Snake
Amateur

Well it came back, same issue as before, only lasted about a week. This time I put an order through the dodge dealership for a dodge crank sensor. Won't be here until Friday, I'll install it this weekend.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 PM
94Snake
Amateur

latest update, swapped out to a new dealership crank sensor, drove fine then went to crap again.

Latest swap out was the EGR valve. Cleared the "Check Engine" light!!! Still has stored codes but driving up and down the road, it never came on. Truck also appears to be driving much better. We'll see in about a week!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change your Distributor Cap and rotor , my truck does this every couple of years because of the climate where I live . Moisture gets in and electricity fly's everywhere

Old 02-21-2014, 07:30 AM
94Snake
Amateur

Alright quick summary, I've replaced:

Idle air control valve
map sensor
pcv valve
plug wires
distributor cap and rotor (checked wire locations 2x)
o2 sensor
crank sensor

I've checked:
vacuum lines
TPS voltages
cleaned throttle body
unplugged cat (removed o2 sensor) replacing this with y pipe next

I'm at wits end, last time I pulled the plugs I didn't have any oil on them. Truck drives for 10 mins and goes bad. Rough idle, no part throttle cruising, when you let off gas at 55, it slows down like it's gearing down but it's still in OD (I turn the OD switch off and I feel it gear down and when I turn it back on, I feel it drop back in OD). You can hold the gas pedal steady while cruising and you can feel the truck slowing down, I have to floor it to get it to 60 and try to coast it while playing with the gas pedal. Also while holding the pedal steady and it's slowing down, sometimes it will catch itself, clean up, and drive correctly jarring the truck when it does, but then it quickly dies off again. Gas mileage has went away. Truck is no longer throwing codes while driving, stored codes are now 12, 37, 55 (32 went away with the old EGR valve). Oil looks good, no water.

Plan for the weekend:

Pull plugs again
Put air into cylinders and check for leaks
compression checks

Anybody have any other ideas?

Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM
94Snake
Amateur

Problem solved!

Too many threads start and when people finally find the fix there's never any closure.

Swapped out TPS
Swapped out the plugs

My guess is that the TPS is what was causing the intermittent issues. I would do TPS voltage checks and it would pass. The computer was not throwing any codes either.

I swapped the plugs as well, I don't think they would've cause the issue, but after all the backfiring, they were beginning to become sooty (rich).

Anyway my truck is fixed and has been driving fine for 2 weeks now and no more check engine light.

Any questions, just ask.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Awesome! Glad ya got it fixed.

Quick Reply: Surging, backfiring, undriveable