2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Funky brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM
pilsbury88
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get absolutely no dash warning lights when this phenomenon happens. It seems to happen when the truck is cold and after it warms up. It doesn't seem to matter. Guess I'll have to get to Advance and inquire about their scanners. Thanks guys. If/when I find the solution I'll post it here.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

You can verify if the noise you hear is the antilock dance, simply by going to a parking lot somewhere, running it up to about 30 miles an hour, and standing on the brake. If you get the same type of noises, chances are good you have an abs problem.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:08 PM
pilsbury88
Rookie

I'll try that. I've only had it happen when I'm gently pressing the brakes coming to a stop. Granted, I don't make a habit out of slamming them so maybe it will happen then as well.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:40 AM
pilsbury88
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can verify if the noise you hear is the antilock dance, simply by going to a parking lot somewhere, running it up to about 30 miles an hour, and standing on the brake. If you get the same type of noises, chances are good you have an abs problem.
I did some of what you suggested - slamming on the brakes from about 30mph. No odd results. Nothing like the problem I originally posted about. The brake pedal did seem to lift back up to its original position slower than normal. Maybe that has something to do with the temperature being in the negative digits here.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

Yeah, I don't like the cold either. Probably shouldn't expect our trucks to.....

Talk to your favorite local parts store, ask if their scanners can read abs codes/data. If it can, plug one in, and go for a ride. (bring someone else along to monitor scanner. Safer that way.)

Old 01-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

None of the local parts store down here will read abs codes for some reason or another. I guess so they dont tell your brakes are fine and then you hit a telephone pole and sue the crap out of them

Ive had success with the local garages reading them for me, well Ive only had to do it once

Old 08-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, kicking this one to the top rather than start another abs thread. Pilsbury never updated so I don't know if he resolved his issue.

My truck recently started doing the abs dance thing intermittently. When coming to a stop sometimes the abs system kicks in as if the truck is sliding on ice. No abs light, speedo works fine, and brake system is in excellent shape. (4 wheel abs system) I'm guessing one of the sensors has gone bad since no abs light comes on when it happens. I checked and cleaned the connectors for the sensors, but it's still happening. Does anyone know if the scanners will do real time data trapping?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:43 PM
pilsbury88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jimythefan
Okay, kicking this one to the top rather than start another abs thread. Pilsbury never updated so I don't know if he resolved his issue.

My truck recently started doing the abs dance thing intermittently. When coming to a stop sometimes the abs system kicks in as if the truck is sliding on ice. No abs light, speedo works fine, and brake system is in excellent shape. (4 wheel abs system) I'm guessing one of the sensors has gone bad since no abs light comes on when it happens. I checked and cleaned the connectors for the sensors, but it's still happening. Does anyone know if the scanners will do real time data trapping?
My problem ended up being a bad wheel speed sensor in the front left hub. You need a scanner that will read live ABS data to properly diagnose it. I used a Snap On Solus. As you're driving you need to have someone look at the wheel speeds. The good sensors will remain steady (and agree with your speedometer within reason) and the bad sensor will bounce all over the place. That's likely your problem.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Saweeeet! Thank you for that, and quick answer too. Now I have a starting point. I'll update when I get it fixed.

Thanks Pilsbury.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Jimythefan
All Star

Front left bad on mine too. Replacement on the way from rockauto.

Thanks again Pilsbury.

Quick Reply: Funky brake problem