2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes FI Air Gap problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM
hemicyrus01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Giving everyone an update. Thanks again for all the suggestions. So wed was the last time my truck ran good. I stopped at the gas station on my way home and put 65.00 in it, then drove about 6 miles to my house. Thats when I took stuff apart trying to find where it was sucking air. It got really cold that evening so I decided to go back out on thursday morning to finish up. Thats when I started having the problems. (wouldnt start, couldnt find anything wrong) After putting a post up on here and talking to several people, I found that someone had siphoned my gas tank bone dry. I never thought about the gas because I had 3/4 a tank when I parked it. I shook the truck and didnt hear any liquid move so I put about 2 gallons of gas from the lawn mower can in it and fired up and ran great by the third try. I was so pissed that someone did that, but so happy to know nothing was wrong with her. So never assume anything. The only part I needed was a 20.00 locking gas cap. Its running great but I do have a check engine light on. Gonna get it read today but thinking all the air/ increased fuel prob burned up my O2 sensor. Its been like 6 or 7 years since it was replaced. Will let everyone know. Thanks again.

Last edited by hemicyrus01; 02-08-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Your truck doesn't have the green ball in the filler neck so your fuel cannot be stolen?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:35 AM
hemicyrus01

If there ever was a green ball in there, I have never seen it. I have had it for like 12 years and this was the first time I had this happen. I did live most of my life in the country in PA. My closest neighbor was my aunt and uncle and they lived at lest 2 miles away. My house was a good half mile off of a side road. No where close to a main road. Now I live just north of Austin, TX in a "subdivision" where all the house are like 10 feet apart. You cant even leave your garage door open over night. I got the locking gas cap, but it might be time to think about moving again.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:02 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

It sucks that we have to even have things like locking gas caps.

Now in reference to your O2 sensors you should change both of them and do so with a OEM sensor or a higher quality sensor. The front sensor is the most important but since it has been so long I would change both. I'll bet you are enjoying your truck now that you have it working correctly.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 06-04-2014, 10:35 PM
mr chips
Default Hughes FI Airgap & throttle body

I've just installed a new stroked 408 with the air gap and throttle body, with numerous other mods, but the old K&N Cold air intake will not fit, its hitting the firewall, Hughes swears it should be the same position and height as the kegger , well the dam thing won't fit and now I can't even break the fing engine in w/o a filter on it, bought a regular air cleaner and of course no one carries the offset bolt to screw a regular carb style cleaner on to it. I can't even purchase the small spectre plenum because it needs the offset bolt and there will be no way to instal the plenum over the offset bolt and no way to thread it on after!!! AAARRGGG!!
does anyone know what I can do!! Im not getting any answers from the people that should have them, so I'm asking all of you.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mr chips
I've just installed a new stroked 408 with the air gap and throttle body, with numerous other mods, but the old K&N Cold air intake will not fit, its hitting the firewall, Hughes swears it should be the same position and height as the kegger , well the dam thing won't fit and now I can't even break the fing engine in w/o a filter on it, bought a regular air cleaner and of course no one carries the offset bolt to screw a regular carb style cleaner on to it. I can't even purchase the small spectre plenum because it needs the offset bolt and there will be no way to instal the plenum over the offset bolt and no way to thread it on after!!! AAARRGGG!!
does anyone know what I can do!! Im not getting any answers from the people that should have them, so I'm asking all of you.
stock airbox. Not as sexy but works just as well

Old 06-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Magnumater
Default Heat gun

So with no one being able to tell me why, this exact fit intake is not,I just heated up the K&N CAI and squashed it down the 3/8" that it needed.
Today I find the throttle sticking, throttle body plates are rubbing!?$&)?!

Old 06-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Rob,
I have the FI-AirGap, a Holley 50mm TB, and a K&N CIA on top, and don't have any clearance issues.
I don't see what on the top would raise the air hat to cause a problem.
That engine mounts do you have?
Is it a magnum block?

Last edited by Spillage; 06-29-2014 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-29-2014, 08:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Make sure that the air hat isn't interfering with the throttle linkage.

Quick Reply: Hughes FI Air Gap problems