2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes FI Air Gap problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 PM
hemicyrus01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hughes FI Air Gap problems

1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport 5.2 318 Magnum. 5 speed manual tranny
My truck was running perfectly but I wanted to increase my performance so I put on the Hughes FI air gap intake manifold and coupled it with the Hughes Big Gulp throttle body. I got this setup for the 390 stroker I'm building. Its gonna be months before I have enough money to finish it, so I wanted to run it on my stock 318 in the mean time. After changing everything over ( I also installed a new I.A.C.(back of throttle body) and new I.A.T in the intake tube where directions said to) The truck fired up and ran for a day, only problem was that idle was stuck at 2100 rpm and the check engine light was on. It sounded like it was supercharged the way it was sucking air. So I figured it was sucking too much air. I took intake and throttle body off to check. Everything appeared good. I put it back together. It would start but was running really rough. I took both battery cables off and touched them together for about 30 seconds. Put cables back on and tried to start. It turns and turns. It will sometimes start, but only for a second then dies. I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key on. I replaced the fuel relay in the under hood fuse box. This is driving me crazy. Any help much appreciated. It has also been unusually cold (Like 25-30 degrees mid day) I live just north of Austin, TX

Last edited by hemicyrus01; 02-06-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: forgot something that could be important
Old 02-06-2014, 04:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Look for pinched wires behind the intake. Cam and crank sensor wires run across back there.

Can you check fuel pressure?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check andsee what codes it throwing , I didn't have any probles with my airgap . is everything connected to thrttole body not loose . also is injectors seated good ?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

It is KooL that you are going to build your 390 stroker but I think a Big Gulp TB is asking a little too much from a stock 318. I think you can run the Air Gap no issues on the 318 but think you should bench the Big Gulp and put your stock TB back on until the stroker is built.

And as others have all ready said look for pinched wires, unhooked wires, and trouble codes? Fuel pressure? Did you pull the distributor when you changed the intakes? Even if you didn't have you checked your fuel sync? If not you also might want to look at that.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I have a the Holley 52mm TB and the FI Airgap on my 318... whilst this ran fine, I did initially loose some bottom end, until I added the LT Headers, then I got it back, plus some.
Without the LT's, it wasn't much to write home about under 2000rpm.

Even a 52mm TB is supposed to be a bit bigger than really needed for a 318, but I think it will be fine by the time I'm done.

Do you have a tune to take advantage of your bolt-ons?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

He is running the Big Gulp which is suppose to be a 55mm or bigger.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:12 AM
hemicyrus01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it. I will try to answer all the things that were put up in response to my thread. I do not have a way, that I know, to check fuel pressure. No, I didnt pull the distributor when I changed the intake over. I had not looked for pinched wires at the back of the throttle body, but I will. When I first started and drove the truck with the air gap and the big gulp on, it ran like a top. It was just idling really high (2100 rpm) and the check engine light was on. I took it auto zone to get the codes read ( I got P0505= IDLE SPEED HIGHER/ LOWER THAN EXPECTED AND CODE
P1294= TARGET IDLE SPEED NOT REACHED
The injectors do appear to be seated properly and everything that connects to the throttle body is in place correctly. I have replaced the I.A.T (put it in the intake tube where directions said to), new T.P.S. ON RIGHT SIDE OF THROTTLE BODY. NEW I.A.C. ON BACK SIDE OF THROTTLE BODY, NEW MAP SENSOR ON FRONT OF THROTTLE BODY. I even tried putting stock throttle body back on, and still nothing. I dont know about the fuel sync. Im gonna look into that after Im done putting this up and look for the pinched wires too. I do already have Gibson shorty headers, have had them for about 10 years now. I do not have a tune to take advantage of the current bolt ons. I ordered the SCT stage 1 tuner from Hughes on Monday. Prob be a couple weeks before I get it. I was planning on ordering the stage 2 when my stroker was done, but figured I would get the stage 1 now to get full potential out of what I have already until sroker is done and pay 150 to get it updated when I'm ready.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

go threw hemifever hes more knowledgeable of our forums and a great guy . www.hemifevertuning.com

Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

+1^
Sean has great tunes for these trucks.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

TPS is on the right side? As in: passenger side of the throttle body? Shouldn't be there..... I wonder if you have a vacuum leak you are going to be unable to fix, as you have the wrong throttle body for your truck?

Quick Reply: Hughes FI Air Gap problems