2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loud hum front end.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 PM
konspiracy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud hum front end.

I have had a loud hum in the front passenger tire.
I have replaced ball joints, hub assembly, and shocks.

Still made the noise after all this work done, I have driven thousands of miles and it doesn't get worse. I drive about 100 miles a day depending If I work out of town.

Tires also dont seems to make a difference, noise happens accelerating or braking.

Noise gets louder making left hand turns, right hand turns make the noise almost go away.

I'm thinking it could be an alignment issue because the truck also pulls to the right a little bit.

2wd 2001 dodge ram 1500 extended cab, 5.2l

Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 PM
ngmillar
Professional

Originally Posted by konspiracy
I have had a loud hum in the front passenger tire.
I have replaced ball joints, hub assembly, and shocks.

Still made the noise after all this work done, I have driven thousands of miles and it doesn't get worse. I drive about 100 miles a day depending If I work out of town.

Tires also dont seems to make a difference, noise happens accelerating or braking.

Noise gets louder making left hand turns, right hand turns make the noise almost go away.

I'm thinking it could be an alignment issue because the truck also pulls to the right a little bit.

2wd 2001 dodge ram 1500 extended cab, 5.2l
I'm wondering more what the "hum" sounds like... I recently replaced all my steering and suspension and the heat shield on the knuckle was rubbing on the rotor when I was done which made a terrible noise but I just bent it back in place and it was fine mine also made more noise when I turned right and less when turning left but mine was on the drivers side

Old 02-15-2014, 07:49 PM
konspiracy
Amateur

I would say like a mud tire is on one side, and it just sounds like a more aggressive mud tire when I turn harder. It's not a sounds that makes you cringe, in fact I was oblivious to it for months. My dad pointed it out to me and swore that a wheel bearing was going so I replaced it with a brand new one. My Grandad used it on his 2001 dodge (same everything) because his went out and it is working just fine. So i know for a fact its not the bearings in the front. But im 90% positive that its coming from the front passenger tire area. I have changed the brake pads a couple of months ago and that also didnt help or hurt anything. I'm going to measure between the front tires to see if my alignment is off. Although, there is no abnormal tire wear.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 PM
ngmillar
Professional

Originally Posted by konspiracy
I would say like a mud tire is on one side, and it just sounds like a more aggressive mud tire when I turn harder. It's not a sounds that makes you cringe, in fact I was oblivious to it for months. My dad pointed it out to me and swore that a wheel bearing was going so I replaced it with a brand new one. My Grandad used it on his 2001 dodge (same everything) because his went out and it is working just fine. So i know for a fact its not the bearings in the front. But im 90% positive that its coming from the front passenger tire area. I have changed the brake pads a couple of months ago and that also didnt help or hurt anything. I'm going to measure between the front tires to see if my alignment is off. Although, there is no abnormal tire wear.
Very weird...I wouldn't know what to tell you but I'm sure someone on here will have more knowledge on this than me :-p

Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

eh, my sisters Durango does the same but on the rear. I don't know what it could be. I checked everything but everything checks out. Still, the same noise.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Under normal circumstances, your symptoms exhibit all the signs of a failing wheel bearing...... but, as you have changed it, and your truck is 2wd..... there isn't anything else left up there, other than.... the tire. Do you have the same tires front and back?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:04 PM
konspiracy
Amateur

The only thing I could think of is maybe new tie rod, and maybe upper a frame?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,976 Posts

Have the alignment checked by a shop with a machine. Couple degrees of camber might account for your issue, but, won't be visible just looking at it.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:40 PM
steve.dobbs
Smile loud hum

I just had same problem. It was bad wheel bearings. Had them replaced and noise is gone. Cost me about 350.00 parts and labor.

Quick Reply: Loud hum front end.