2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fixing A Sticking Tailgate Latch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing A Sticking Tailgate Latch?

How would I go about fixing a tailgate latch that does work, but it sticks? Meaning when I pull up on the handle it has no spring back motion, it stays latched upward until I push the handle back down to lock it in place.

Also, does anyone know where I can order a drivers side door hinge stopper bushing? My drivers side door hinge is fine and working, but the bushing inside of the stopper thing that limits how far it can open is loose and rotates when it shouldnt.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Get a hinge pin kit. It comes with both the pivot pin, and the pin the 'stopper' rides on. Including the bushings.

My tailgate latch does the same thing. I just make sure to put it back down before closing the tailgate... hasn't been annoying enough for me to go after it yet.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For the tailgate, try lubing it (pb blaster, wd40, or whatever you prefer) and working it open and closed to free it up. Mine was doing the same thing. I squirted some pb blaster in there and worked the handle. After about a dozen times it worked like new.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I need to just replace the upper hinge pin, I don't have to really do anything but support the door right? I can have a person help me, but if I do that I have seen how much of a pain it can be to get the spring back in without the right tool, I'm thinking if two people do it we might be able to do it without having to remove the spring? Especially since the current bushing around the (stopper is loose and would fall right out?, but the new one would probably need hammered in?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

New ones just push in, and are held in place with clips. (nice and easy)

I suspect the spring would have to come out.... getting it back in could be fun. (finding it after it LEAPS out of there could be even more fun.... unless it hits you, then, it is easy to find, but, you got a nice bruise......)

One member suggested compressing the spring, using zip strips to hold it that way, installing it, and then cutting the zip strips...... as I don't really think there is enough room to get the tool in there to do it..... (I may try this....)

Old 02-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
For the tailgate, try lubing it (pb blaster, wd40, or whatever you prefer) and working it open and closed to free it up. Mine was doing the same thing. I squirted some pb blaster in there and worked the handle. After about a dozen times it worked like new.
This for the sticky tailgate. Work both the handle and the latches on the sides.

Quick Reply: Fixing A Sticking Tailgate Latch?