2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

spark plug stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 PM
bigboihustle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug stuck

Went to do a tune up today on my 5.2l and when I got to cylinder number 3 the spark plug won't come out. I tried removing the heat shield but it is stuck and i busted a few knuckles in the process.

When I try to turn the spark plug the socket just turns like it's not seated. I've tried 2 different spark plug sockets. In the process of trying to remove it I broke some of the ceramic off.

Any tips on how to remove it? Will I end up having to use an extractor tool?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 PM
44dakota
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could have a lot of dirt down in there causing the socket to not go all the way on,make sure you blow it out real good,might not hurt to spray a little penetrating oil in there also,let it soak for a while..

Old 02-22-2014, 09:14 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Those heat shields allow debris to collect around the spark plug base and rust the plugs out in the process. Best to remove all of the heat shields as you replace your spark plugs. Make sure you blow all of the dirt/debris out of the spark plug well. If you still can't get a spark plug socket to bite on the plug, the base may be rusted enough where the spark plug socket no longer fits. Be sure to liberally soak the spark plug down with PB Blaster and let it set a while. Try using another deep well impact grade socket that's slightly smaller than the spark plug socket, hammer it onto the plug, then try to remove the plug.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:06 PM
bigboihustle

ended up taking an angle grider to the heat sheild and was able to peel it away. the i used a shop vac to suck up lost of the debris. i was able to to remove the broken plug at this point but there is still alittle gunk at around the hole. what would be the best way to remove this gunk without letting it fall inside?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Did you get the heat shield completely out? If not, remove the rest of it then disconnect the coil (the electrical connector, not the coil wire to the dist) and crank the engine a couple times. It will blow any crap out that fell in there.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:43 PM
bigboihustle

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you get the heat shield completely out? If not, remove the rest of it then disconnect the coil (the electrical connector, not the coil wire to the dist) and crank the engine a couple times. It will blow any crap out that fell in there.
no i did not get the heat shield completely out. i basically made multiple cuts and peeled it back laying it flat. but thank you for the advice on cranking it.

also i made a newbie mistake and forgot to note which wires go to which cylinder. is their a diagram for which wires go where? also i broke a wire loom and cant seem to find a replacement

Old 02-23-2014, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

firing order is:

1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 Clockwise rotation, number 1 is marked on the distributor cap. There is a TSB for plug wire routing in the FAQ section here as well, that will have pics.

I think your only choice for the wire looms is either a junkyard, or, some generics from the parts store.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

on the wire order they can be found on the internet easily. or might be cast into the intake manifold. on small block mopars the dist rotates clockwise. and some caps have the number 1 tower is marked. my dad had a saying "number 5 is before 7 on the block and the cap" on small block and big block.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:17 PM
bigboihustle

Originally Posted by HeyYou
firing order is:

1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 Clockwise rotation, number 1 is marked on the distributor cap. There is a TSB for plug wire routing in the FAQ section here as well, that will have pics.

I think your only choice for the wire looms is either a junkyard, or, some generics from the parts store.
Originally Posted by moe7404
on the wire order they can be found on the internet easily. or might be cast into the intake manifold. on small block mopars the dist rotates clockwise. and some caps have the number 1 tower is marked. my dad had a saying "number 5 is before 7 on the block and the cap" on small block and big block.

thank you both for the help. i did end up finding a nice firing diagram. so i think i should be off to a good start.

i did find the tsb for the plug wire routing but all the pictures are dead and without them it is kinda hard to understand. once i figure it out i may update it with some new pics.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:31 AM
TiminSoCal
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: spark plug stuck