2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Readhead box vs brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:18 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Readhead box vs brace

Hey guys, got some questions for yah. So I'm in need of a new steering box shortly as mine is leaking and I'm fairly certain some of my play in the frot end is from the box. Anyways, I got into a debate on the subject with my dad earlier and wanted your opinions.

I'm interested in buying a redhead steering box as I've read they fix a lot of the issues that the oem boxes have. Meanwhile, he's read that all you need to fix our steering play is buy a rebuilt box for half the price of a redhead and get a steering box brace.

Can someone please explain the pros and cons of either choice? Thanks

Old 03-18-2014, 01:36 AM
tincan57
Captain

Ask my mechanic, he'd laugh and say nope. Been there done that. He's already mentioned Redhead awhile back, but we're trying to sell the wife's house in NC (we married last year).

My slops getting worse on the 98 (not for me, but the wife wont drive it, even to follow me somewhere).......I'm looking at Redhead now. I'm going to spend the right money (it's my off road truck). K.

Sorry Thornloe, thought I was on the general discussion board when I answered (I'm no expert, I'm a victim of the steering). I need to go to bed.

Last edited by tincan57; 03-18-2014 at 01:43 AM. Reason: add phrase/oops
Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by tincan57
Ask my mechanic, he'd laugh and say nope. Been there done that. He's already mentioned Redhead awhile back, but we're trying to sell the wife's house in NC (we married last year).

My slops getting worse on the 98 (not for me, but the wife wont drive it, even to follow me somewhere).......I'm looking at Redhead now. I'm going to spend the right money (it's my off road truck). K.

Sorry Thornloe, thought I was on the general discussion board when I answered (I'm no expert, I'm a victim of the steering). I need to go to bed.
I believe most of us here with 2g rams are victims

Your mechanic said no to the brace? Did he say why? Just curious is all.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The brace is a good idea, but, it doesn't address the basic problem. Sloppy steering box. They just weren't that great from the factory. You could replace it with a cheap reman unit, but, you would be right back in the same sloppy steering boat within six months. (if that long.) The remans don't replace all the parts that the folks at Redhead do, and the borgeson box is basically brand new. The reman may be tight initially, but, it will get sloppy fast, because it just isn't the quality rebuild you get from the higher priced boxes. It's entirely possible that the reman box would be WORSE than what is currently in your truck. Yes, they are THAT bad.

For the brace, get the one from Dodge Off-Road. Its a better design than the cross-frame fellers.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get a cross frame brace all it does is put even more stress on the box.

Redhead and quality steering componets will fix it right up. Look into 99HD steering upgrade along with the box.

Also dont think put more steering stabys on will help. All they do is mask the real problems.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks everyone. So okay, it sounds like a brace isn't the best idea. Just temporarily fixes whats wrong in the first place or causes even more problems. I've read reviews of the borgeson box and redhead and I have heard better things with the redhead. I've hear there's still play with the borgeson but if you want a faster turn ratio this is the box to get and I think you also need to buy their shaft.

Hambone, I have a single skyjacker steering stabilizer (can probably see it in my sig pic) and I've been thinking of getting of dual stabilizer kit... That's a big no no? Now thinking about it, I have read that somewhere else...

Old 03-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not necessarily a no no. But all it does really is hide the real problem.

For reference , I have a brand new front end with the 8.5 t style steering. The 99HD is the same setup basically. and a rock solid fix. NO stabby at all. and it steers the best it ever has in the 100,000 miles I have been around it.

My gear box still has some slop. But it is tremendous the difference in before and after the steering upgrade. A redhead would top mine off. Make it as perfect as it could be.

Some people don't like the feel of driving without the stabby. And it is definitely OK to run one if you prefer that.

But just throwing a bigger stabby on to fix steering is akin to using all the snake oil at the counter of the parts stores.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Okay thanks for the info.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

I run this stabilizer with my Borgeson steering box and have been very pleased with it.

http://www.custom-diesel.com/dodge-p...-borgeson.html

I installed the stabilizer hoping to assist the new Borgeson steering box output shaft assembly from being stressed over time. So far, its doing well and no issues. I'm very happy with the setup.

Quick Reply: Readhead box vs brace