2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Walnutcrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Shifting Issue

I have a 2001 dually with the 5.9L Cummins 24 valve and it intermittently does not go into gear. This is very random, but once in gear it shifts fine. This has a Suncoast valve body with recent fluid and filter change. Any ideas?

Old 03-22-2014, 12:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Does it not shift? Or, when you first go to drive it, the gear you select doesn't engage? I am assuming auto trans......

Old 03-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Walnutcrazy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Trans Shifting Problem

The issue occurs sometimes after sitting and also after is it warmed up and shifted several times. You move the shift lever and it does not engage, return to park and wait (not time dependent) shift again and it may engage or not. Eventually it will engage. This is using a Suncoast valve body with a PCS controller. Have just drained the pan and removed the filter, fluid looked and smelled OK. Not sure about the filter. Did not see any obvious problems or loose wires in the valve body area. Local transmission shop believed the problem was with the pump and resurfaced the pump face in Dec and this did not fix the problem. He said he could find no other problems and wants to blame the PCS controller.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:17 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Walnutcrazy
He said he could find no other problems and wants to blame the PCS controller.
That's some helpful info. I bet the controller is fine but a problem in the wiring. To use a PCS controller, don't you have to tap into the wiring harness? I thought you did and if so, there might be a bad connection. But then again electronics are temperamental and if all connections are good, it may be the controller.

Quick Reply: Trans Shifting Issue