2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"O/D Off" engaging when driving on interstate

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Cinderfella
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "O/D Off" engaging when driving on interstate

When driving for anything more than 30 minutes in overdrive, the "O/D Off" indicator illuminates and I am unable to shut it off. After doing some research, it appears that the 46RE has some sort of overheat protection that causes this. If this is accurate, what are some causes for the overheating? I have felt the hoses and it seems that that cooler is doing its job. This happens even if it is 10 degrees F outside. If the overheating thing is not accurate, any other ideas?

The transmission will sometimes slip in first. Second gear engagement is also unpredictable when under light throttle during the 1-2 upshift. If I put the gear shifter in the "1" position, the slipping condition goes away. This leads me to think I have a bad overrunning clutch. Could a bad overrunning clutch be causing the overheating when driving on the interstate thus causing the "O/D Off" light to illuminate automatically?

Vehicle Information:
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
4x4
Extended cab
96000 miles

Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 AM
mlstahelin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a firm believer in check the simple stuff first. Clogged trans filter or clogged check valve can cause the overheating. What color is your trans fluid red or brown?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Get rid of the check valve in the lower cooler line going to the radiator. Chances are, that will solve it. (also make sure fluid level is good. check in neutral only.)

Quick Reply: "O/D Off" engaging when driving on interstate