2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Inconsistent Rough idle, already replaced multiple items

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Ram
Did u scan the comp? You may have an engine code even though your eng light isnt on--check the vacuum plugs/caps and lines very well disconnect ur tps and see if it makes a dif it is also possible you got a bad idle air control solenoid even though its new--Check the fuel pressure-shrader valve is easy to get to--what u are describing in my experience (no codes) has been a bad iac-Fuel issues usually set a lean code-and tps etc almost always set a code-

No i have not scanned the computer ill give that a try and see what comes up. thanks for the advise

Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 PM
gnelson49
Professional

Originally Posted by T-Ram
Did u scan the comp? You may have an engine code even though your eng light isnt on--check the vacuum plugs/caps and lines very well disconnect ur tps and see if it makes a dif it is also possible you got a bad idle air control solenoid even though its new--Check the fuel pressure-shrader valve is easy to get to--what u are describing in my experience (no codes) has been a bad iac-Fuel issues usually set a lean code-and tps etc almost always set a code-

Definitely check for any OBD codes, and check the new IAC. Take off the air hat and with the truck running look down in the port where the IAC pintle is and adjust the throttle and see if the pintle moves out and back in. It is a little stepper motor so it will make a jerky motion as it opens and closes. I replaced mine a few years ago and the new one was defective.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 PM
ReadRam
All Star

How much of an interval between the smooth and rough idle? Is it almost a consistent offbeat jiggle while at idle and does it smooth out fine upon acceleration? Sounds a lot like issues I've been having and all things I've tried, besides 01 sensors(denso) and new TPS from dealer. Some have suggested cracked valve seats.
Have you done compression test? Make sure to follow up if you figure it out. Good luck.

Last edited by ReadRam; 04-16-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by ReadRam
How much of an interval between the smooth and rough idle? Is it almost a consistent offbeat jiggle while at idle and does it smooth out fine upon acceleration? Sounds a lot like issues I've been having and all things I've tried, besides 01 sensors(denso) and new TPS from dealer. Some have suggested cracked valve seats.
Have you done compression test? Make sure to follow up if you figure it out. Good luck.
i think we are experiencing the same thing. yes like a rough shake or jiggle. its a few seconds apart from smooth and rough. no have not done compression test. How would we check for cracked seats other than visually?

Old 04-17-2014, 11:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Cylinder leakdown test. Will tell you where compression is escaping. (you can hear it.)

Old 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

So i was messing around again and tried to cover the butterflies to see if it would choke the engine and nothing happened. Didn't even lower rpm's. This means air is being drawn in from somewhere else right? I dont know where though the plenum is brand new along with throttle body gasket. any ideas?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
ReadRam
All Star

IAC allows air in when butterflies are closed at idle, other wise engine would stall at every stop sign. And yes it does sound like the same issue. Jiggle,shake, jitter and every couple seconds a little harder shake with a 50 to 75 rpm drop. Most people would just call it normal for magnum engine, but I've had couple other trucks to compare to. My issues were worse when it's warmer outside. The plenum repair and timing set made an improvement, but not good enough. I'm going to get a leakdown test soon. It's really annoying in stop n go traffic.

Last edited by ReadRam; 04-17-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:18 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by ReadRam
IAC allows air in when butterflies are closed at idle, other wise engine would stall at every stop sign. And yes it does sound like the same issue. Jiggle,shake, jitter and every couple seconds a little harder shake with a 50 to 75 rpm drop. Most people would just call it normal for magnum engine, but I've had couple other trucks to compare to. My issues were worse when it's warmer outside. The plenum repair and timing set made an improvement, but not good enough. I'm going to get a leakdown test soon. It's really annoying in stop n go traffic.
Ya im going to chang emy plugs back to what was in there when i bought it and do compression test in the process. im going to do it this weekend ill keep you posted. And yes really annoying even if it is "normal'

Old 04-18-2014, 08:08 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

well i checked compression this morning and all cylinders were good. in the process i took out the ngk plugs and put in some autolite xp 5224 plugs. It helped a lot actually. i would say it normalized it even.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:27 PM
ReadRam
All Star

What did your ngk plugs look like, I mean the center part, clean and white or light tan? Interesting that iridium plugs made a difference.

Quick Reply: Inconsistent Rough idle, already replaced multiple items