2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Inconsistent Rough idle, already replaced multiple items

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
What did your ngk plugs look like, I mean the center part, clean and white or light tan? Interesting that iridium plugs made a difference.
The ngk plugs looked fine, almost new still. I read before i changed them out to the NGKs in the first place that our trucks are very in particular about plus. Strange.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by jmhd1989
The ngk plugs looked fine, almost new still. I read before i changed them out to the NGKs in the first place that our trucks are very in particular about plus. Strange.
Reason I asked is the plugs on my current truck are quite white, even after 8000 miles , whereas my former rams they were always tan around center electrode. I've tried both ngk and stock copper champions. I even put the autolites back in that were in the truck when I bought it. Most advice on the forum and most spark plug websites say the plugs should have a tan color.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Reason I asked is the plugs on my current truck are quite white, even after 8000 miles , whereas my former rams they were always tan around center electrode. I've tried both ngk and stock copper champions. I even put the autolites back in that were in the truck when I bought it. Most advice on the forum and most spark plug websites say the plugs should have a tan color.
the ngks were more tan than white. i only had the ngk's in there for a few hundred miles though. Try and get new autolite xp5224's use plenty of dielectric grease and keep pushing the wires until you here the click. the 5 and 7 cylinder were really tough to get on all the way. they felt on even when i tugged but i wasnt happy with it so i kept pushing and it did click.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Davedacarpainter
Rookie

I've had the same issue that you guys have been having. I even had a check engine light come on that checked out as misfiring in the number five and seven cylinders. I cleared the codes and it has not relit. I believe I'm going to check out my new plugs now. I'm just learning about this plug pickiness in our 5.9's, thanks guys.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:46 AM
ReadRam
All Star

They are also prone to misfire from routing of the plug wires. There is a TSB on a reroute of wires. I also use some cheap loom spacers to keep the wires away from each other at the plug boot. 5 and 7 are next to each other in firing order.
My opinion is that changing spark plugs brands isn't going to alter or fix a shaky idle, unless there was something wrong with the plugs changed out,or the wires may have been routed different causing an improvement. Overall opinion leans to using stock copper plugs, although, I recall a very smart guy who used to post on here a lot used some fancy platinum tipped plugs. I think he also had magnecor wires, a hughes f-1 intake, billet fuel lines and other mods.

Last edited by ReadRam; 04-27-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

They are also prone to misfire from routing of the plug wires. There is a TSB on a reroute of wires. I also use some cheap loom spacers to keep the wires away from each other at the plug boot. 5 and 7 are next to each other in firing order.
My opinion is that changing spark plugs brands isn't going to alter or fix a shaky idle, unless there was something wrong with the plugs changed out,or the wires may have been routed different causing an improvement. Overall opinion leans to using stock copper plugs, although, I recall a very smart guy who used to post on here a lot used some fancy platinum tipped plugs. I think he also had magnecor wires, a hughes f-1 intake, billet fuel lines and other mods.
when you say reroute to wires you mean as in where they rest right? not a different firing order from whats in the service manual? and how does the way they are routed affect anything?

Old 04-28-2014, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

when you say reroute to wires you mean as in where they rest right? not a different firing order from whats in the service manual? and how does the way they are routed affect anything?
There is a Tech Service Bulletin for plug wire routing in the FAQ section here. Firing order remains the same, as that is determined by engine design, not a trivial matter to change it.

Plug wires running to close to each other can generate 'cross talk', and you end up firing more than one cylinder at a time. That gives weak spark on BOTH cylinders, and can be seen as a miss. Depending on just where the 'other' cylinder is in its cycle, can cause other problems as well.....

Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is a Tech Service Bulletin for plug wire routing in the FAQ section here. Firing order remains the same, as that is determined by engine design, not a trivial matter to change it.

Plug wires running to close to each other can generate 'cross talk', and you end up firing more than one cylinder at a time. That gives weak spark on BOTH cylinders, and can be seen as a miss. Depending on just where the 'other' cylinder is in its cycle, can cause other problems as well.....
oh i see. ill look into that as well. would covering the wires with the plastic sheath tubes work as well instead of rerouting.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Nope. They are high voltage, physical separation, or a really good quality set of wires are the only options.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM
ReadRam
All Star

the ngks were more tan than white. i only had the ngk's in there for a few hundred miles though. Try and get new autolite xp5224's use plenty of dielectric grease and keep pushing the wires until you here the click. the 5 and 7 cylinder were really tough to get on all the way. they felt on even when i tugged but i wasnt happy with it so i kept pushing and it did click.
Pulled plugs for the first time since the plenum repair and new timing set, approx 1500 miles and instead of really white plugs they dark, mostly on one side, almost light soot. So air/fuel ratio sure changed. Still has the jiggle at idle, but not as bad as last year when outside temps got up in the 40's and 50's. #4 plug actually had some oil on the center part after sitting overnight. Just a tish. Deciding whether to try some different plugs or not.

Quick Reply: Inconsistent Rough idle, already replaced multiple items