2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Inconsistent Rough idle, already replaced multiple items

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Pulled plugs for the first time since the plenum repair and new timing set, approx 1500 miles and instead of really white plugs they dark, mostly on one side, almost light soot. So air/fuel ratio sure changed. Still has the jiggle at idle, but not as bad as last year when outside temps got up in the 40's and 50's. #4 plug actually had some oil on the center part after sitting overnight. Just a tish. Deciding whether to try some different plugs or not.
i honestly don't know how it could effect the jiggle we have but it made mine almost go away completely. And maybe i was unlucky and had a bad NGK plug from the factory but it had the autolite 5224s when i bought it and it ran good, ngks ran bad, then new set of 5224s back to good. I didn't mess with the wire routing or anything in between the ngks and autolites either. but again i think i just got lucky i haven't done half of the fixes as you and its hard to believe that all you needed was a specific plug all along. I didn't have any oil in any cylinders either. I hope you find the source i am very interested.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by jmhd1989
i honestly don't know how it could effect the jiggle we have but it made mine almost go away completely. And maybe i was unlucky and had a bad NGK plug from the factory but it had the autolite 5224s when i bought it and it ran good, ngks ran bad, then new set of 5224s back to good. I didn't mess with the wire routing or anything in between the ngks and autolites either. but again i think i just got lucky i haven't done half of the fixes as you and its hard to believe that all you needed was a specific plug all along. I didn't have any oil in any cylinders either. I hope you find the source i am very interested.
Put new Champion copper's in truck yesterday and the truck was a lot peppier, idle was better, but still not as smooth as it ought to be, still has a bit of the shakes at idle. Surprisingly the old plugs (Champions) were all clean looking when I pulled them out.
It's like driving a different truck, way more responsive with just changing plugs. Couldn't see anything wrong with the old champions, with 8,000 miles on them, but apparently there was. Been hearing opinions about the quality issues with Champions and am now inclined to believe it.

Last edited by ReadRam; 05-04-2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM
cthekid28

99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 has a miss fire on 1, 8 new transmission
done a tune up did a oil change, when I start it up it miss fires then stops after it is warmed up. the check engine light stays on and sometime flashs

Old 06-21-2014, 05:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by cthekid28
99 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 has a miss fire on 1, 8 new transmission
done a tune up did a oil change, when I start it up it miss fires then stops after it is warmed up. the check engine light stays on and sometime flashs
Check plug wires first. When is the last time you had a tuneup?

Quick Reply: Inconsistent Rough idle, already replaced multiple items