2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant in the oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
earland7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in the oil

I have a 2001 dodge ram 5.9 with 170,000 miles, about 3 weeks ago I changed the timing gears and chain and replaced the harmonic balancer, I've been losing coolant since then and this morning I checked the oil level and it looked like chocolate milk and the level is slightly above the upper safe line on the dip stick. I was wondering if I messed up putting the new timing cover gasket on and now coolant is getting into the oil? There's no knocking or white smoke, it hasn't lost power or perfomance, and there's no external coolant leaks, head gasket or the timing chain gasket?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by earland7; 05-10-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Stop driving it. With coolant in the oil, it will waste rod/main/cam bearings in pretty short order. At the top of the timing cover, on both sides, are coolant passages. If the mating surfaces weren't squeaky clean, it's really easy to end up with a leak there, that goes directly into the oil pan. Should be able to just pull it back apart, clean everything REALLY well, and reseal it. Use a bit of RTV around the coolant ports. (both sides of the gasket.) Shouldn't be a problem. (just annoying. )

Welcome to DF!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

also, i think?? the 4 long bolts alongside the water jackets go all the way into the block. so coat the threads on those with RTV to prevent any water seepage along the threads.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:09 AM
T-Ram
Rookie

'The Right Stuff' brand fast setting black silicone works great--its all we use they have smaller size bottles now-

Old 05-17-2014, 10:47 PM
earland7

Ok, I replaced the timing chain cover gasket again, I also changed the water pump, thermostat, and the oil pan gasket because I ripped the gasket while I was taking the timing chain cover off. So far there is no leaks and I'm not losing coolant, and I'm gonna change oil again tomorrow just to make sure there's no more coolant in the oil lol thanks for your suggestions!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:19 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

congrats, good job . Retorque the bolts/nuts that you can get to after a heat cycle or two.

Quick Reply: Coolant in the oil