2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram stalls and won't start. Strange noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.5 hours for plugs!!!

I'll be buying a horse soon

Last edited by torxdurley; 05-28-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: redundant
Old 05-27-2014, 11:53 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default oh boy

Originally Posted by HeyYou
1. Yes. But of course, now that you know, the dodge police are going to have to kill you.

2. That might work.... all the blood rushing to your head might be a bit of a problem though.....

3. Yes, there is. Pull the motor.

It's not as bad as the fords..... When they first came out with the 'new' design..... they eventually started showing up at the shop. One lady wanted her plugs changed, as it was that time. I looked it up in the labor time guide.... 3.5 hours..... SAY WHAT???? Seriously? Then I looked under the hood, and that actually became reasonable.....
Maybe I'll get it over with and lower myself headfirst into the engine compartment with the engine running!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:15 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default other parts

1. Yes. But of course, now that you know, the dodge police are going to have to kill you.

2. That might work.... all the blood rushing to your head might be a bit of a problem though.....

3. Yes, there is. Pull the motor.

It's not as bad as the fords..... When they first came out with the 'new' design..... they eventually started showing up at the shop. One lady wanted her plugs changed, as it was that time. I looked it up in the labor time guide.... 3.5 hours..... SAY WHAT???? Seriously? Then I looked under the hood, and that actually became reasonable.....
Are there any other parts you'd suggest replacing if I manage to get the distributor cover off?
Especially parts that may need to be replaced ever again in my lifetime. Headfirst one time into my engine compartment may be the last time I work on anything other than replacing the license plate!!

Old 05-28-2014, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

While you have it off, take a look at the dist cap, and rotor. If they haven't been replaced in recent memory, no better time than when you have to be in there anyway.

I usually pull off the air filter housing, put a rag over the throttle body, and put a piece of plywood over the engine, so I have something *comfy* to lay on while working back there.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM
torxdurley
Rookie

While you have it off, take a look at the dist cap, and rotor. If they haven't been replaced in recent memory, no better time than when you have to be in there anyway.

I usually pull off the air filter housing, put a rag over the throttle body, and put a piece of plywood over the engine, so I have something *comfy* to lay on while working back there.
The VA hospital was nice enough to put titanium rods on both sides of my spine from neck to small of my back. That was in 2011 and I haven't found anything comfy to lay on since. I'll have to climb in head first and carry all my tools and parts with me.

Here goes nothing. Fingers crossed that this part does the trick.!!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ouch. When it was suggested that I needed 'back surgery', I couldn't find the door fast enough. Physical torture got me walking again.....

Old 05-28-2014, 07:03 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Thumbs down Success?

Ouch. When it was suggested that I needed 'back surgery', I couldn't find the door fast enough. Physical torture got me walking again.....
I had a 22 year U.S. Army service ending Spinal Cord Injury along with a traumatic brain injury in Nov.2011. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by torxdurley
I had a 22 year U.S. Army service ending Spinal Cord Injury along with a traumatic brain injury in Nov.2011. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I guess so..... no bending for you......

Thank you for your service though. From one vet to another.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Thumbs up Success at last?

So if you don't keep feeding it, it quits. But, fuel pressure is still good.

Replace the cam position sensor. It's under the distributor cap. Some places call it pick-up coil.

HeyYou,
After much pain and struggling, mostly with my eyes closed, I felt my way through replacing the Cam Position Sensor and for good measure, the rotor. I stopped short of replacing the distributor cap until I regain feeling in my extremities and purchase new plugs and plug wires.

I drove about 15 miles and as soon as I got home, my truck died. Epic Fail!!!
Next I remembered to remove the negative side of the battery, ate a sandwich and turned the key to the on position, waited for about 30 seconds and the truck started right up and idled fine with the A/C running.

Next, I took a Mississippi back roads drive for about 30 minutes, returned home, placed her in Park and she idled as smooth as a country club golf cart. I turned her off and restarted a few times without any problems and let her idle while I caught up on emails, charted some real time data on my new wireless $10.00 OBDII scanner, and before I knew it, my truck had idled without dying for almost an hour!!! That is 55 minutes longer than the previous record of 5 minutes.

I am a bit of a pragmatist, so I can't claim total success until I have put a couple hundred miles in various scenarios, without my truck dying or failing to start.

But Thanks to all of you posters here at Dodge Forum. With special thanks to HeyYou who helped a rather bad shade-tree mechanic, troubleshoot and repair an intermittent and rather tricky problem with little to go on from my half descriptions that probably left most posters shaking their heads and/or chuckling about my lack of mechanical abilities.
HeyYou actually diagnosed my problems across the Ethernet before I had a reliable tester to give him codes to work with.

I hope that I have the problems all fixed, and don't come back later with my tail tucked between my legs, but for now, I feel like I have conquered Mt. Everest ! I spent less on parts than my local dealership would charge me to ogle their shapely blonde cashier.

Thanks again everyone, and especially HeyYou, who talked me into trying another fix when I was more than ready to throw in the towel.

Many Thanks and My Deepest Respect for all you fine folks.

Talk to you soon,
Torx Durley

Last edited by torxdurley; 05-28-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Mistyped
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM
torxdurley
Rookie

I guess so..... no bending for you......

Thank you for your service though. From one vet to another.
h

Thank You for your service HeyYou, to this great country I call the United States of America !!!!!

P.S. I am happy to be home. The real heroes are the ones that didn't make it back, and their loved ones.
I spent 93 days in the ICU at Walter Reed and was given no chance to ever walk again. The Physical Therapy torturers, especially at my local VA hospital kept on my backside until I left the wheelchair behind. !!
I give all the credit to the man upstairs......Prayer Works..I am living proof.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram stalls and won't start. Strange noise.